Friday, February 02, 2007

Bad Colds and Split Pea Soup

Sorry for the lack of posts - we've all had bad colds and the Man-Cub even had a slight fever and had to stay home from school today. So of course I made soup...



One good thing about bloggin' recipes is that if forces me to write down what I did - so that maybe I can replicate it in the future. Sometimes I make something really good and then I can't remember exactly what I did that made it so good. But here is a pretty good Split Pea Soup recipe - it's very thick and hearty - if you prefer a thinner soup I'm sure you could just add some water.

About 1/2 a medium onion, chopped - I used some of my frozen chopped onions from my garden and I just put them in the pot with the split peas.
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup dried split peas - that's about 1/2 of the small bag
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup barley
3 1/2 cups water
About 5 small carrots, coursely chopped - I only have one bag left from all the carrots we grew last year
1 1/2 stalks celery - sliced
3 T dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried basil

And really all I did was put all of that in a pot and cook it for about 3 hours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment