Tuesday, May 24, 2016

...Super Simple Chain Stitch Shawl...Free Pattern...

Materials:
one packet of small glass - I used Darice Craft Designer multi coloured glass beads
one skein of worsted weight yarn - I used I Love this Yarn in burgundy
one spool of metallic thread - I used this bright gold thread...
a crochet hook - I used size H...
...I made a really long bead snake...just on the gold thread...I tried several times to pull the yarn through the little glass beads but was unsuccessful...so I just (quite easily) threaded them onto the gold thread...
...then I made a chain...just measured fingertip to fingertip...without stretching the chain...and single crocheted up one side...
...then when I got to the end...I started pushing up one bead per stitch...three stitches in the end and three beads...then one bead per stitch all the way down the other side of the chain...

...this side will be the top of the shawl...when I got to the end I did three stitches with one bead each in the last chain stitch...

...now you're ready to start the body of the shawl...
...basically you're going to do loops of chain 5...joined back to the previous row with a single crochet...I single crocheted around the center of each loop on the previous row...except the first row where I did a single crochet into the single crochet of the foundation row...

...and you'll have one fewer chain loop on each row...forming a triangle...

...so start with a chain 5 (pushing up a bead from the bead snake on each of the first three stitches)...and skip the next 3 single crochets on the foundation...then join the chain 5 to the foundation with a single crochet stitch...then repeat all the way across the foundation row...
...because I wanted a bead in each stitch along the outside edge...
...I pushed up a bead on the bead snake and included it in each of the first three stitches of the beginning chain loops...
...then when you get to the end...you'll go ahead and join with a single crochet...and as you slip stitch back up the last three stitches (to get to the middle stitch where you'll start the next row of loops...push up one bead per slip stitch so that the beads go all the way around the outside edge of the shawl...
...so this is how the edge looks with a bead in each stitch...
...the first three beads on the right are in the slip stitches at the end of the previous row...and the next three beads are in the first three chains of the next row...(hoping that makes sense...)
...and this shows the join with a single crochet around the center of the loop on the previous row...
...the beads around the entire edge of the shawl...I did think of a couple of alternatives for the beads...of course you could have no beads...or you could slip stitch around the entire outer edge putting a bead in each stitch...it might be simpler than adding them as you go...but it would also make the edge a little bit heavier...or a less pejorative term might be more defined...if that's the look you wanted...I wanted this sweet little prom shawl to be a wisp of shawl...just light and airy...
...but the beads do give it a nice weight and drape...
...and the finished shawl...it was super easy...I did the entire shawl in one evening...

...I hope you make one...come back and let me know if you do...

~Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. Such a cute shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pretty! i'm sure she'll treasure it always. i know i love mine! love, k

    ReplyDelete