Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Super Simple Worsted Weight Sock Pattern


I mentionned in a previous post http://affectioknit.blogspot.com/2008/06/make-your-own-bamboo-knitting-needles.html that I was inspired by Cass at http://shutupimcounting.wordpress.com/2007/11/26/wick-sock-yarn-wear-review/ who made hers using Wick - which of course I have no access to here in tinytown...

So I'm writing a pattern for the ever-available Peaches and Cream - a worsted weight cotton yarn.

Materials:
You'll need 2 skeins - one for each sock - any color - I used color 132 Earth Tone.
1 set of 4 dpns - size 4
Gauge
6 sts = 1 inch
15 rounds = 2 inches
Instructions
Cast on 48 stitches and divide evenly over 3 needles being careful not to twist. Place a marker. Work in k2 p2 ribbing for 12 rounds.
Leg:
Knit each round for 30 rounds. Slip marker and knit 12 stitches. Turn and purl 24 stitches, keeping these stitches on one needle. Arrange the remaining 24 stitches on the other two needles. Then work the heel as follows.
Heel:
Row 1: Slip 1 Knit 1 across.
Row 2: Slip 1 then purl across.
Repeat last two rows for 14 rows.
Turn Heel:
Sl 1, p 13 p 2 tog, p1, turn;
sl 1. k 6, sl 1, k1, psso, k1, turn;
sl 1 p 7 p2 tog, p 1, turn,
sl 1 k 8 sl 1, k1, psso, k1, turn;
sl 1 p 9, p 2 tog, p 1, turn.
Continue adding one more stitch befor the decrease on each row, until 14 stitches remain.
Gussets:
Pick up and knit 8 stitches along the side of heel and place on 1 needle.
Slip the 24 stiches from the other 2 needles onto one needle.
Pick up and knit 8 stitches on the other side of the heel and knit to the marker and place these stitches on the 3rd needle. You should now have 15 stitches on needles 1 and 3 and 24 stitches on needle 2.
Round 1: Knit around.
Round 2: Knit to within 3 stitches from the end of needle 1, k2 tog, k1; knit across needle 2; k 1, sl 1, k 1, psso, k to end of needle 3.
Repeat these two rows for 8 rounds.
Foot:
Work even (knit each round) for 34 rounds - I find it easier at this point to rearrange the stitches evenly again (i.e., 16 stitches on each needle). This will make an average size sock (women's size 7-9).
Toe:
Divide the stitches again as follows:
Needle 1: 12 stitches
Needle 2: 24 stitches
Needle 3: 12 stitches
Decrease for toe as follow:
Needle 1: K to within 3 sts of end of first needle, k 2 tog, k 1;
Needle 2: K 1, sl 1, k1, psso, k to within 3 sts of end of second needle k 2 tog, k1;
Needle 3: K 1, sl 1, k 1, psso, k to end.
Next round knit.
Repeat last 2 rounds 5 more times; then repeat the decrease round every round until 12 stitches remain. Knit the 3 stitches from the first needle onto the third needle and weave the sole and instep stitches together using the Kitchner stitch.
Work another sock to match.

9 comments:

  1. Nice looking socks, and I'll bet they are super comfortable, ready for any weather. Hope you all are having fun this summer. E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome - I love Peaches n Cream! Thanks for the pattern, hand knit socks are the ultimate everyday luxury!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am taking this pattern to France as my holiday knitting. I don't get on too well with 4 needles but know a technique to knit tubes on 2 needles. I shall use a combination of both.

    Hopefully when I get back I can post - or somehow get to you - a pic of the finished socks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What size needles do I use with this pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amanda,

    They are size 4 - I'm sorry - the link at the top to where I was making the needles mentions the size but not the pattern - I'll update the pattern here and on Ravelry.

    Thanks for pointing it out!

    Affectioknit-ly,

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just added these great socks to my "to do" list. Cotton... so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I make these on circulars using magic loop? I have never made socks and dpns don't get along with me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dina,
    Thanks for stopping by Affectioknit...I'm sure you can use magic loop...let me know how it turns out...
    Have a lovely day!
    ~Affectioknit-ly,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete