Thursday, December 31, 2015

...Grandma's Roasted Brussels Sprouts...and Vegan Angel Biscuits

...when we were up in the mountains visiting at Thanksgiving...my Mom and my sweet sissie made the most delicious roasted Brussels Sprouts while I was making the Vegan Angel Biscuits...and my sister emailed some previously unpublished photos of that event so I'm including them here...
...and although I've mentioned my Mom's Angel Biscuits several times on the blog...I've never actually posted the recipe...so here it is...

Mom's Vegan Angel Biscuits

1 package regular or quick active dry yeast
2 tablespoons warm water (105° to 115°)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening - (shortening is vegan) but I used Earth Balance
About 1 cup vegan buttermilk - 1 cup original soy milk with 1 tsp white vinegar - warmed up to about 90° F too
Butter or margarine at room temperature - I used Earth Balance for this too

Directions
1. Heat oven to 400°. Dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside.
2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in yeast mixture and just enough buttermilk so dough leaves side of bowl and forms a ball.
3. Place dough on generously floured surface; gently roll in flour to coat. Knead lightly 25 to 30 times, sprinkling with flour if dough is too sticky. Roll or pat 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Brush with melted Earth Balance. Serve hot.
...Mom always folded hers over...so I do too...of course...
...baked until golden and served hot...
...I don't have any photos of the Brussels Sprouts from Thanksgiving...and they were definitely worthy of having their photo taken...but Scout asked for some Brussels Sprouts 'like those Grandma made for Thanksgiving'...and you should never so no to a teenager asking for Brussels Sprouts under any circumstances...so I called Mom to see how she had made them and she said that all they did for the Brussels Sprouts was to sprinkle them generously with olive oil, salt and pepper...so we did just that...
...and roasted them in the oven at 350° F...
...and they were delicious again...

...what's your favorite way to make Brussels Sprouts...

~Have a lovely day!

3 comments:

  1. The recipes look good, will definitely try them - however, what really knocks me out is the baking with no apron and a completely flourless cobalt blue blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually make my sprouts roasted with a bit of olive oil and sea salt. Then I sprinkle some parmesan cheese before serving. Tasty! Now I want some...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, you're making me hungry!!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete