Monday, June 12, 2023

...6.12...Over the Weekend...

...y'all have already seen that my sweet Sissie came for a visit...I stole this photo from her blog McCraw Sails...
...I made her a simple Birthday cake using my fancy bundt pan...which I meticulously greased and floured...I've had cakes stick in the groves of this one...and I wanted this cake to be 'pretty'...
...while that was baking...I mixed up a caramel drizzle instead of icing...just EB...almond milk...and brown and powdered sugars...it would have been better if I'd had the light brown sugar version...
...and ta-daaaa...the cake unmoulded perfectly...YAY!...
...I 'fixed' Sissie's oven-door-hanging hand towel...it had started to fray around the button hole...it was super easy to fix...just double crochet...you can 'see' the patch though because the yarn didn't quite match...I tried an off-white but it looked a little bit yellow...so I just went with plain white...it's functional again anyway...
...for breakfast with Sissie Saturday morning...I made my tried and true Blueberry Muffin recipe...I've been making this recipe since the early days of my marriage...and I'd never noticed before that it says to "grease the bottoms only" of a muffin tin...like with banana bread...it's suppposed to make it rise up and have a nice 'dome' on top...I guess once I got to the point of
...so here they are...nicely domed and piled on a plate...
...within minutes of Sissie's departure...I headed to the grocery store...I just went to Aldi and to Stuff Mart...we didn't need a lot...and if you've not tried the Organic Almond milk from Aldi you should...it's the creamiest ever...
...then I thought I'd try the 'lentil tofu' I'd been seeing a lot of on the interwebs...just blend up some soaked lentils with some spices...I used some veggie bouillon and garlic and onion powder...for some mildly seasoned tofu...I've also heard this called gluten free seitan...
...just cooked until thick and then into a loaf pan and into the fridge to 'set'...
...after a couple of hours...
...I unmoulded it...
...and sliced it...it kind of looks like a pate...but it's pretty firm...
...and put it into the freezer for later...
...after Church on Sunday I decided to make some bread...and by 'make' I mean...put everything into the bread machine and press start...haha...
...I made this Buttermilk Whole Wheat recipe from my old Bread Machine cookbook...I just used Silk cashew/almond milk with a spoonful of apple cider vinegar for the 'buttermilk'...
...and I made the smaller loaf...
...it turned out perfectly...look at that texture...
...and of course...I ate the 'heel' warm from the cooker slathered in Earth Balance...so YUM!

~Wishing you a lovely start to your week!

4 comments:

  1. Heeeeeeeeeeey! This week I was going to try that lentil tofu I keep seeing in various veg online groups. :) It really is everywhere. I'm curious to hear your take on it.

    How lovely to spend time with your dear sister! You both look so happy! Plus, there was cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a lot of different activities in one post! I enjoyed my breakfast cake you sent with me as well. Such a "tender" cake! Bread looks good and still qualifies as homemade! Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  3. that bread looks awesome! love the photo of you two sisters :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lentil tofu is on my to-do list. Since... ages!!!!!! I MUST try that!

    ReplyDelete