Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lunar Eclipse

Lunar Eclipses are a big deal around here - if they happen in the summertime you can find us lying on our backs for hours watching them - even if we have to get up in the middle of the night. They are so much more fun than solar eclipses because you can actually watch them. Alas - it was 22 below zero for last night's eclipse - so we bundled up - went out on the deck - took some pictures and oooohed and ahhhhed a bit and ran back inside - we probably did this every 15 minutes from about 7:30 to 10:00 when we decided the Man-Cub just 'had to' go to bed...

...here's what we saw...







...the pictures are posted in the order they were taken - it was really interesting and sparked a lot of geometrical/spacial questions from the Man-Cub as the shadow cast by the earth did not pass directly from left to right...

3 comments:

  1. hey - those are wonderful photos! I went out at 10:15 last night - that was totality here. It was just a pretty "harvest moon" color - very nice, but I didn't get the same effects you got. Also, we had some low-level clouds sweeping by at a high rate of speed, so I only got to see it in snippets! fun, though! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. We took some photos too but they were not as good as yours. Ours did go from left to right pretty much straight across. Must be the latitude. E

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to see that sooo bad, but I was unable to because I was in the car and there were too many tall tree's. I got to see the end of it once I got home. The moon was still beautiful, but it just wasn't the real deal. Thanks for sharing so I could at least get some rewind action on it. :-)

    ReplyDelete