Monday, September 14, 2015

...Mom's dishes...and Homecoming...

...sort of a random post...but the two things really are connected...
...I've 'known' this bean pot and the little cups all my life...literally...and I have such fond memories of the (usually cold winter) days when Mom would get it out and fill it with delicious warming and comforting beans...and we loved the novelty of eating our beans out of the little cups...

...so I thought it'd be perfect to take some vegan baked beans to the Homecoming celebration at church...
...I mixed up some vegetarian baked beans with some onions and sorghum syrup...
...making them a little more flavorful and home-made tasting...
...then I got out another one of Mom's dishes...this black snowflake divided dish...we always had spaghetti in this one...sauce in one side and noodles in the other...cornbread on the side...haha...
...but...I filled it with corn and green beans...because you always need more plain side dishes at these covered dish affairs...and then I wrapped it up in the ingenious insulated carrier my sweet sissie made for me...you can read all about how she made it here...
...more about the chicken wire table tomorrow...I promise...so ingenious...
...Homecoming was just perfect...a lot of people...a lot of delicious food...and perfect weather...

~Wishing you a lovely start to your week...

4 comments:

  1. I love the bean crock and the little pots for eating the beans out of. That serving dish for two sides is awesome too.

    Your last pic made me nostalgic about long ago picnics at the little church where I grew up. Those were always fun times for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. neat-o! i had forgotten about that pot! but i do remember Mom serving spaghetti in her divided dish. Duane always thought it was so weird that we ate cornbread with spaghetti. funny how different families savor meals differently. love, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the spaghetti and cornbread, but I also served fried okra with it when in season. I guess that all was a little strange combination, but still would love it. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am fascinated by 'Homecoming', is that like a 'housewarming' or a 'harvest festival'? I have heard of 'homecoming queen' but I don't know what it is.

    ReplyDelete