Wednesday, April 14, 2021

...4.14...W.I.P. Wednesday...

...I had gotten these two balls of variegated grey yarn at Hobby Lobby before the pandemic...it's Black Ice Crafter's Secret Cotton Yarn...and added them to my stash...for some grey socks to wear under a pair of grey trousers I've got...

...but at 95 yards...I knew it wouldn't be enough for a very tall pair of socks...and I didn't really want anklets...so I made some plans to at least do the heel and toe in a different colour...but since they'll be fairly traditional socks...I didn't want to go crazy with the colour difference...and I didn't have any other grey cotton yarn in the stash...

...I decided to 'make' some...using a technique that I learned at Cub Scout Day Camp many years ago...basically they coloured on a hat with sharpies and then sprayed it with alcohol for a tie-dyed effect...I was surprised that I didn't post about it...but I've searched the blog and find no reference to it...but the very young Airman was probably not in my 'group' at daycamp...

...here's an article about it though...it's pretty neat...
...anywhooo...I just knit a swatch of white cotton yarn...
...and then started colouring it with a grey sharpie...
...not trying to make it solid grey...
...and then I got a black sharpie for more variegation...
...and did some stripes with that...
...and put it into a bowl...
...and poured on a few drops of alcohol...not quite as 'variegated' as I'd intended...but it will do...haha...
...packed it up for the trip to Mom's...
...I still started with a provisional cast-on...mid-sock...I'll knit down to the toe...and then pick the stitches back up and knit in ribbing until I run out of yarn...

...I kindof like the pink yarn with the grey...it'd be fun to do a couple of stripes of pink at the top...oh wait...these are supposed to be traditional trouser socks...haha...

...what's in your workbasket?...

~Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting technique! I'll have to use that idea sometime when I need to "color" something. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ...yeah...Boy Scouting has taught me a lot...haha...
      Love,
      T

      Delete
  2. well I learned something! I'm quite impressed with the results!! You are adventurous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      ...it was a long time ago...but I remember Scout Day Camp was the first time I ever heard about Sharpies and alcohol...but I've used the alcohol to remove Sharpie as well...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete