Thursday, November 12, 2015

...Matar Pulav...Peas and Rice...

...way...way back in the day...when we lived in Raleigh...and I was teaching Latin and French at an inner city High School...the Man had a good friend named Shashi...

...Shashi was from India...and he was always cooking for us...

...one of his signature dishes was Matar Pulav...or Peas and Rice...which sounds pretty basic...but let me tell you...it was delicious...the rice was redolent of spice...but in a nice soft understated way...I wouldn't call it spicy at all...just nicely flavored of clove...and cumin...and cinnamon...but savory...not sweet...

...and I had made far too many peas for dinner last night...and I wanted to use them up...
...so I started with rice...of course...two cups of water and one cup of rice...and I'll use my favorite rice cooking technique...Julia's RIZ À L'INDIENNE - RIZ À LA VAPEUR...

...3 whole cloves...and 3 black peppercorns...
...a pinch of cinnamon...
...ginger...
...and cumin...
...and leftover peas...about a cup...
...just added to the rice after it's done...
...just give it a quick stir...
...and put in my favorite pretty little Nambé bowl...
...so delicious...thanks Shashi!...

~Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds wonderful with that combo of spices! We often hav a different version that has Caribbean spices instead. A great side dish to lots of meals.

    Love, K

    ReplyDelete