Sunday, January 24, 2010

Vegan Angel Food Cake


I invited a friend over for tea - who happens to be dieting with Weight Watchers and told me she could only have Angel Food Cake...

...I happen to have an Angel Food Cake pan that I've never used - and I've certainly never made an Angel Food cake before...

...A quick search of the web sort of informed me that no other vegans have either - haha - it's something about the main ingredient being 12 (YIKES) egg whites...

...but I am a fearless baker and although my efforts did not quite 'rise to the occasion' (hehe) they were certainly sweet and edible and according to my friend - 'had the right flavour' if not quite the right texture...

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups sugar - I used organic beet sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cake flour, sifted with 1 teaspoon of baking powder (the original recipe did not have baking powder - but I figured I needed a little more lift)
12 teaspoons of EnerG Egg Replacer
2 teaspoons Agar powder
2 Tablespoons flax seed goo - just boil a Tablespoon of ground flax seed in about 1/2 cup of water and then strain the slimy stuff through a fine strainer.
20 Tablespoons warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Process sugar in food processor for a couple of minutes. Sift half of the sugar with the salt and the cake flour.

Keep the remaining sugar to put in the 'egg' mixture later.

In a large bowl, use a whisk to mix EnerG, water, agar powder, flax goo, vanilla, and cream of tartar. After a couple of minutes, switch to a hand mixer.

Slowly sift in the reserved sugar, beating continuously at medium speed.

Once you have achieved some sort of soft peaks, sift a Tablespoon or so of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam. Fold in gently with a spatula. Continue adding flour by tablespoonful until all of the flour mixture is incorporated.

Carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. (When inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall, the skewer should come out dry).

Cool upside down on cooling rack for at least an hour before removing from pan. Mine came cleanly right out of the pan.


First - process the sugar until pretty fine...

Mix your EnerG egg replacer, Agar powder, and flax goo

That flax goo is really slippery slimy stuff - just like egg whites...

This is what it will look like before you start whisking...

Add in about 1/2 the fine sugar...

sift the rest of the sugar with the flour and salt...

...and sift again...

Start whisking...

After a couple of minutes switch to a hand mixer with a whisk attachment...

Whisk/beat until soft peaks form...


Then sprinkle a Tablespoon or so of the flour/sugar/salt mixture on top of the fluffy 'egg' mixture

Carefully fold in from the sides and bottom - the way Julia would do it...

Do that again and again - it's the most time consuming part...

Sprinkle and fold

- sprinkle and fold...

Then spoon carefully into the ungreased tube pan - you don't want to deflate your lofty batter...

Bake at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes without opening the door - then check for doneness - invert on a cake rack to cool - the original directions said to invert and leave the pan for one hour - but my somewhat shorter cake slipped right out without using a knife to pry loose the sides...

I thought the cake looked perfect and certainly had a nice crispy spongey appearance. It tasted nice - I guess it's the cream of tartar flavour that I'm not used to in a cake (I don't really even remember ever eating Angel Food Cake) - but it was nice and spongey and a little bit chewy - just not quite lofty enough - oh well I'll try again for sure.

11 comments:

  1. That is quite an undertaking to try a vegan angel food cake. Looks like you did very well. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours looks way better than the angel food cake I had in my pre-vegan days, they were always really dry. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You HAVE to stop posting all of these amazing recipies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!
    i love angel food cake with strawberries!
    it was so nice of you to make this lovely treat for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't you fearless! And so thoughtful too to make the angel food cake for your friend. I absolutely love this kind of cake and its nice to see there is a vegan version :"-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:58 AM

    Fantastic! What a brave soul. The finished product looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:26 AM

    Teresa! I could hug you right now! I always thought angel food cake was something I'd never again have as a vegan--because it's made with so many egg whites, of course.
    I *so* have to try this. Well, not me, maybe my Mom will. She, like you, is a brave baker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are in my account a genius! I will certainly be trying this when strawberries are in season. Your description sounds just like I remember the non-vegan stuff tasted. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cake looks lovely and yummy! I have never heard of a vegan angel cake before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried this vegan angel food cake and it was great. I might have done something wrong 'cause it took 45 minutes to whip the batter to get the right peaks. I think I baked it too long too 'cause the cake was a little chewy. But otherwise it was super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a long weekend, so this may be on my to do list. I've been wanting angel food cake sooooo bad. This one looks so good and it's next to impossible to find a vegan recipe for angel food cake. I guess I'll need to go buy one of those fancy pans... I'm guessing a bundt pan will not do. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete