Saturday, January 30, 2010

headbands...headbands

You may remember the old black tote that I recovered with a beloved remnant of cloth...

...I pulled the teeniest little remnant from my scrap box the other day and thought - hey - that looks just like a headband...so I proceeded to make one...

I stitched it into a tube - it bulges a little in the middle which is perfect for this project...

Remember - needle nosed pliers are a great tool for turning little tubes of fabric...

I ironed it nice and flat...

Measured my head and stuck a little piece of elastic into each end of the tube and sewed them shut...

et voilĂ ! a super cute little headband is born...

Then I pulled another remnant out of the box...

...I could probably do this all day...

Sewed another tube - a wider one this time - and ironed the seam open...

Then I turned it right side out - much easier with a wider tube - and ironed it nice and flat - with the seam in the middle - and turned under about 1/2 inch on each end and ironed that too...

Since this one is so wide - I folded some little pleats into each end...

I inserted the elastic and sewed them up...

This one turned out super cute too...

It's kinda hard to take a picture of the top of your own head...

I can really see a bunch of grey hairs up there that I don't usually see from the front - hehe - it reminds me of Scout (when he was about 4 or 5 years old) - reaching up and looking at the top of my head (he was still small enough to be carried apparently) - and saying - Ooops Mama you've got paint in your hair - so funny - we laughed and laughed - it wasn't paint - but grey hair...

this is the wider one - it covers a little more grey - haha - maybe I'd better wash the paint out of my hair...

7 comments:

  1. i love your retro-print action, teresa! don't worry about the greys, i have almost as many as you and i'm not even a parent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:37 PM

    Inventive AND pretty! Ditto on the grey hairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wished my 'mousy' coloured hair away - until I started to go grey. I look as though I don't have much grey - even though I am retired - but I have and my 'mousy' colour just blends it in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are too funny...

    love the hair doo-dads.

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the fabrics. Looks like you are ready for gallivanting in summer heat! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty!

    Embrace the gray I say - and I speak from experience. I prefer to call them silver strands, doesn't that sound better? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL on the grey. Now I'm curious about my own head, having red hair hides those greys a little better than dark.

    Love the headbands. Thanks for sharing this. I need to sew some up now, looks like a great project for a beginner.
    lisa

    ReplyDelete