Monday, January 18, 2010

Communion Bread

Scout and I made Communion Bread for Church...

...we always have a lot of fun doing this...

...Scout likes to do the braiding - he's really good at it...

...we use a traditional Challah (Jewish Sabbath Bread) for the recipe...

...veganized, of course...

...sometimes I just do a boule, or a coiled Challah...

...but I think the braided loaf is the prettiest...

CHALLAH (Jewish Sabbath Bread)

2 tsp dry yeast
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp water
3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Agave Nectar
1/3 cup flax seed goo - or EnerG egg replacer equivalent to 2 eggs
4 Tbsp Earth Balance melted

for the egg glaze - I just used melted Earth Balance

Method:
1. Dissolve yeast in water and let stand for 5 minutes - Mix flour and salt and make a well in the center and pour in the dissolved yeast.
2. Using a wooden spoon draw enough of the flour into the yeast mixture to form a sponge - cover with a dish towel and let rise until frothy - about 20 minutes.
3. Add the agave nectar, melted Earth Balance and egg replacer and mix in the flour from the sides to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until shiny and smooth - about 10 minutes.
4. Place dough in a bowl (greased with Earth Balance) and turn to coat. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled - about 2 hours - I let mine rise in the oven with the light on - Punch down and let rest for 10 minutes.
5. Divide dough into three equal pieces and roll out to form a long rope - about 18 inches long - and braid the ropes.
6. Place on a baking sheet sprinked with corn meal and proof until doubled - about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
7. Brush with some more melted Earth Balance and bake in a 350° oven until richly golden and hollow sounding when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.

11 comments:

  1. That looks tasty. I guess you had to make more than one? MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed! Your bread looks like something you'd find in an upscale bakery. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bread looks so good, I might make some and so will save the recipe.

    How lovely that Scout makes it with you. Similar times for me make up the 'patchwork' of memories for me of my two - now grown up - children. For them too, it is always surprising to me what they remember of times like these, with pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so pretty!!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum looks perfectly baked, does the braid have special meaning or is it just to look nice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I must try this with the girls.

    Greg was raised Lutheran and the pastor that baptized him also baptized our girls, so we gave to the Lutheran World Relief fund. Thanks for the link. What a phenomenal organization.

    Best,

    Indiana Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bread is beautiful braided and challah is one of my favorite recipes too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! It looks super good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:30 PM

    beautiful bread - i haven't baked bread in a while. must remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post made me hungry and want to go to church! LOL! Thanks for posting the veganized challah bread. Half of my family is Jewish, and while I'm Christian, I delight in having elements from the two faiths present.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Challah is beautiful! I was looking to try a vegan challah recipe! I have always made raisin challah with cinnamon - it would be nice to try it veganized!

    ReplyDelete