Saturday, January 02, 2010

Happy New Year

I was happy to wake up late on New Year's Day, after celebrating until the wee hours with friends, and pull the ingredients for our traditional New Year's Day supper out of the freezer...
...I had cooked a bag of black-eyed peas in the crockpot a while ago and frozen the result this time instead of canning them like I did with the chick peas and a bag of turnip greens from the garden...
Then I goofed off part of the morning working on a commissioned knitting project - that's right someone is paying me to knit - more on that later...
...but I was just procrastinating on what really needed to be done - taking down the Christmas tree...
...it really is all sad and droopy looking and it doesn't 'drink' water any more so - I brought all the bins up from the basement...
...and spent a couple of hours sorting and packing everything back in the boxes...
...and stuffed it back under the stairs to wait another year...
...then all I had to do was whip up some cornbread and supper was ready...

6 comments:

  1. It is unusual for Brit's to eat Turnip 'tops' as we call them - but we do. I'm not that fond of the turnit itself, but the leaves are good.

    We also eat the leaves from Beetroots, very delish. I do like the beetroots themselves.

    Today, for the first time, I made home made baked beans - they were very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had black eyed peas too! Plus spicy kale and mashed sweet potatoes :) And I have yet to take down our little Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone else likes the turnip greens and beet greens. We had collards with our black-eyes peas and cornbread. The collards are a treat I learned from the "Easterners" I know, Karen's in-laws and Frank' family. They taste a lot like kale. We packed up our Christmas decor, too. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey! yes, it's time to get into 2010! i left our tree up and all the decorations will be waiting on me when i get home. we were on the pacific coast highway on new year's day - and we had mexican food....but there were beans and greens included, so hopefully it qualifies as a lucky meal. having fun! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't packed up my tress yet. My decoration orgaisational boxes are not as organised as yours. Dread

    Sounds like your day had just the right mix of relaxation and work.

    ReplyDelete