I had been wanting to try making bagels for quite a while...and I'm so glad I did...
...I guess I thought bagels were difficult to make...but they're really not...
...I let my bread rise in the oven with the light on...it's warm and draft free...
...Have you ever made bagels?...
~Have a lovely day!
Vegan Everything Bagels
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
3 cups unbleached white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegan granulated sugar
Sesame Seeds, Poppy Seeds, Minced Dehydrated Onion and Garlic
1. Add warm water to a small bowl. Sprinkle on the package active dry yeast; allow to proof for 5 minutes. Stir and allow to proof for an additional 3 minutes.
2. In a bowl, mix together flour and salt. Mix in yeast-water mixture and lightly knead in the bowl. Cover and place in a warm place and allow dough to rise, about 1 hour.
3. Cut into six equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope about 1" thick, wet ends and stick together. Transfer to a cookie sheet, cover, and let rest for 30 minutes in a warm place. Preheat oven to 450° F.
4. Fill a large pot with water. Place vegan sugar in this water and bring to a boil...then turn down heat until just lightly simmering. Add bagels for 1 minute, turn them as they boil and cook on the other side for 1 minute. Drain.
5. Return dough to the greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dehydrated onion and garlic.
6. Bake until golden and hollow sounding when thumped...