Wednesday, July 18, 2018

...W.I.P. Wednesday...trying PLARN...

...I know I should be working on my Circular Yoke Summer Sweater...
...but I thought I'd try my hand at making a plastic beach bag...out of PLARN...before we head to the beach...

...I usually use my reusable grocery bags...but sometimes I forget or all the groceries won't fit into them...so we sometimes get plastic bags...anywhoo…
...we put them all into a drawer...and I use them for garbage bags...but I'm going to stop doing that completely as I don't want them to end up in the ladnfill...and our drawer was getting a little bit overstuffed...so I was thinking about what I could make with them instead of recycling them at the store...

...I've never made or worked with PLARN before...but there was a lady in W.V. who crocheted thick mats out of PLARN for the same homeless shelter where Scout did his Eagle Scout Project...
...so this is how I make the PLARN...I flatten the bag...
...and then cut off the top and the bottom...I'm keeping those bits...and I'll crochet around them for a thicker/reinforced bottom...
...then I roll it up from the bottom...leaving an inch or so at the top...
...and make little cuts...through the rolled up part...but not through the top...
...about 8 or 9...about an inch apart...
...then I slip my hand inside the top part...
...and cut diagonally between the slits...
...it forms one long piece of PLARN...
...then I just started crocheting...a free form beach bag...an oval for the bottom in grey...
...and then I started up the sides with PLARN made from the white bags...

...I'm planning on using my blue bags for a stripe in the middle...

...have you ever worked with PLARN?...

...What's in your workbasket?...

~Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

  1. It looks great. I've never worked with PLARN. I'm afraid I've got nothing in the workbasket right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too cool. Would have never thought of that. I have a boat in my workbasket, haha! love, K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing the finished bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done a little plarn work. Currently I am cutting up bright yellow newspaper sleeves for a bright yellow something-something (not sure what yet). The type of plastic is a little different, but we'll see how it goes. I like that grey color you've got! I had a friend who went plarn crazy and would get SO excited to find bags of various colors.

    ReplyDelete