Wednesday, January 22, 2020

...W.I.P. Wednesday...a Totally FREE fix for a loose ring...

...every year...about this time...my wedding ring starts to slip off my finger...because it's cold...
...my usual remedy is to slip it onto my index finger where it is a little bit tight...but there's no danger of it slipping off...
...not my photo...but the link to the photo is broken...

...a little bit of background on the ring...you can see that my wedding ring is just a plain gold (white) band...but that's not the ring that we ordered...it looked a lot more like the one above... and it was a matched set of course...with embossed diamond shapes all around the band...

...and during the hectic week of final exams and graduation that preceded our wedding date...we went to the Brendles (on Tunnel Road) right up from the mall to pick up the rings that we ordered...like...three days before the wedding...

...the jeweler took them out of the box...and laid them on a velvet tray...and they were so pretty...but....BUT...you could just tell that the Man did not like them...so we tried them on...and you could tell that he liked them even less...the jeweler picked up on this disappointment as well...and asked if the rings were all right...they fit fine of course...and I thought mine looked really pretty against my engagement ring...but the Man just thought that he was wearing a girl's ring...

...for some reason it was more important to me that the rings matched...so we decided not to keep the embossed rings and the jeweler was so good about it...he gave us a credit on the plain bands that we then picked out...and we were married with matching rings...

...and the irony of this story is that the Man lost his ring in the first 4 months we were married...haha...so I could have kept the embossed ring because our rings no longer matched anyway...

...anywhooo...back to the story...the new ring was not quite my size...it's an 8 and my engagement ring was a 7 1/2...so when I wore the engagement ring on top of the wedding ring it couldn't slip off...but I was always knocking the setting loose doing construction projects and such so I'd pretty much stopped wearing the engagement ring...

...and in the wintertime the ring started slipping off...usually in a glove...and so far I've always managed to find it...but the other day I almost lost it...I found it in the basket that I keep the winter gloves in....it had come off in a glove and then slipped out of the glove into the basket...so I decided that I needed something to make it just a little bit tighter...

...and I remembered how girls in high school used to wrap yarn around their boyfriend's class ring to get it to stay on their fingers...
...so I just snipped of a length of bamboo yarn...I wanted something natural and sturdy and washable...
...and just starting tying square knots around the band with the knot resting on the edges...
...until it fit a little more snug-ly...
...then I threaded the ends onto a needle and pulled them back under the wrapped threads...so there are no loose ends...
...and there you have it...
...the ring no longer slips and it's a totally free fix...and it's totally reversible as well...

~Have a lovely day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment