Thursday, March 10, 2022

...3.10...What I Ate in a Day...as a Vegan...

...I started the day with a bowl of that bulghur wheat...with some cinnamon and brown sugar...and tea...of course...
...mid-morning I had an apple and some almonds for a quick snack...
...for lunch...I cooked a pot of fonio...it's really quick...one minute to cook and then let sit for 4 minutes...it's fluffy and fragrant...and I'm going to use it instead of cous-cous in my favorite tabouli recipe...
...this is the old old old...original recipe written out by my graduate school friend Hélène...go here for the recipe in English...
...so I chopped up half of a sweet onion...
...and cut my rather large black olives in half...
...added that to the fonio...along with Hélène's suggested 20 shakes of the seasonings...rather imprecise I know...
...got out Nanny's old juicer...
...and juiced a lemon...and added that...
...then normally...like if I was taking this to a covered dish supper or something...I'd add bunch of chopped tomato...
...but I'm not going to add it now...because the Man doesn't like this salad...so it's all for me...
...and if I add the tomato to one serving at a time...it'll be fresher that way...and that beautiful bowlful was the majority of my lunch...
...but I also made some fried cabbage...making sure I got the Man's serving out before it browned...haha...
...and then I ate up the leftovers from the Julia Child Quenelles...
...and I packed up the rest of tabouli...enough for five more servings...all for me...
...and then Wednesdays during Lent are really not the best time for dinners...as things are a little bit rushed...but we had a hearty meal of leftovers...chili - because it's chilly outside...collards and sauerkraut...and cornbread...

...what did you eat yesterday?...

~Have a lovely day!

6 comments:

  1. YUM, that salad looks terrific. I had cheese grits for breakfast and a banana. Then a sandwich for lunch made with the bread I cooked over on Meshugga, then we didn't have an actual supper because the cruiser next to us brought all that fried fish over for sundowners. We watched a couple of episodes of Yellowstone and had a handful of Snickers mini's as a snack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ...the Man made grits for a 'snack' yesterday...usually it's oatmeal for him...and you know how we're trying to use up all that stuff we bought during the early days of the pandemic...now two years old and about to go out of date...arghhh...so we had some organic yellow grits that weren't the southern hominy type that we're used to...but I bet they'd be really good smothered in vegan cheese anyway...
      Love,
      T

      Delete
  2. Yum, that salad looks amazing! I love anything with black olives. I hated them growing up, and now I have to stop myself from eating all the olives we have in one sitting!

    We had a delicious broccoli tofu stir fry last night, and vegetarian flatbread pizzas the night before (one was mozzarella/pesto, the other was roasted vegetable). Tonight, it's a black bean skillet scramble (not sure why they call it that, it's just beans/onions/peppers/garlic/corn, and I added some tomatoes. Nothing is scrambled...), served over polenta. Super good and comforting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie,
      ...that's funny about the black olives...not sure when I first had them...but we definitely did not have them when I was growing up...not sure why...but when we lived in North Dakota they were on a tray at every single gathering...which seemed odd to me as they don't seem like a Nordic thing...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  3. The tabbouleh looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny,
      ...it's a fun little recipe...and it always makes me think of Hélène...whom I've not seen since we left university...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete