Friday, March 04, 2022

...3.4...Friday Update...

...the dolly finally has some clothes...YAY!
...so first up...I ordered her some little sneakers from Amazon...
...they seem to be pretty well made...
...and they are also pretty authentic looking little sneakers...
...they will probably (at first anyway)...require some adult help...
...I may try and replace the ties with elastic of some sort...
...so that little fingers can slip them on and off without help...
...I may make her some more shoes at some point...but these are so cute...
...and y'all have actually seen her little leggings before...they belonged to Big Sissie...and you can see her wearing them with an Osh-Kosh onsie my sweet sissie gave to Our Airman when he was a babe...
...so I just trimmed those down to doll size...and they will work perfectly...
...and then remember when I used the $ Store red tee-shirt to make overalls for Big Sissie...well...of course all those scraps were still in my stash...so I just cut out a front back and sleeves from that...
...and then just stitched that together...easie-peasie...and the little strip of collar that I'd saved worked perfectly here...and I didn't even have to hem the bottoms because the scraps that I used were already hemmed...
...the back has to be split for easy dressing with little hands...
...so I just added a strip of velcro for the closure...
...so...here's her little outfit...I think it turned out so cute...
...so...I got her all dressed...
...one more thing...she needs a matching scrunchie for her hair...
...but I'm glad she can still stand up in her new shoes...
...I just got one of those strong-ish bands they put around produce...
...and stitched a little strip of the tee-shirt material around it...
...and pulled her wavy hair back into a neat pony...
...and here she is...all finished...
...and ready for a box...
...and the Valentine's puzzle is finally finished...there's a bit too much glare in this photo...
...so here's one with the light off...we had so much fun with this puzzle...can't wait to start a new one...
...and on the read harder challenge...I finished That Way Madness Lies...and it was OK...it was fast paced for sure...and some of the 'stories' left you wanting more...but I guess that was the effect they were going for...haha...
...and the next challenge is #5. Read a nonfiction YA comic...so I again had to choose from the list the Challenge thankfully sends out...as this is not a genre I'm at all familiar with...I had penciled it in on the list as All American Girl...but it's actually Almost American Girl by Robin Ha...

...and because...you know...my library had a copy...

...and I know I keep saying this...but this is not something I would ever choose to read...haha...I guess I chose it from the lists...because...way back in the day...when I was a Junior Girl Scout...I received a monthly magazine...called American Girl...the Girl Scouting equivalent of Boy's Life...I really looked forward to that magazine each month...and read it cover to cover...

...I searched the interwebs for info about it but it's pretty scarce...the magazines are still available on Ebay though...and wiki says this...

The American Girl
From 1917 until 1979 Girl Scouts published a magazine, originally called The Rally (1917–1920) and then The American Girl, with "The" later dropped. (It is not to be confused with the American Girl magazine 1992–2019.)[74] Circulation exceeded 200,000 in the 1940s,[75] and reached as high as 510,000 per month by 1949.[76] At that time, the popular Seventeen had 2.5 million readers.[77] At one time this magazine had the largest circulation of any magazine aimed at teen-aged girls.
...but this book written like a comic book...and it's kind of difficult to read...for me anyway...I think I prefer just printed words on a page...haha...how about you...do you enjoy reading all those bubbles in pictures?...

...it's about a young Korean girl who moves to America with her single mother...who marries a man here...and they first settle in Alabama...where she encounters some racism and acceptance problems...

~Wishing you a lovely start to your weekend...

8 comments:

  1. The dollie is just adorable!!! Love the outfit. I am not fond of comic book style writing but I know it's really popular with the younger adults. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ...I agree...I think she turned out so cute...
      Love,
      T

      Delete
  2. You've put a lot of loving work into the doll and she is looking so cute. Is she for your granddaughter? I'd never heard of American Girl magazine but seeing the page you posted it reminds me of my youth when I was so much into the Archie and Veronica (and the gang) comic books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny,
      ...yeah this one is for Big Sissie...and I'm on the lookout for another like one for Little Sissie...I've got plenty of time...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  3. she is adorable! I do love red so much and this outfit is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen,
      ...it was such a fun project...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  4. I am deeply impressed with what you've done with this doll. You sure can see the potential in things, even when the end product is a long way off. What a wonderful skill/value to have!

    I quite enjoy graphic novels though I haven't read any recently. At one point I had read every one that our library owned, but I'm very behind now as that format has taken off a bit in the past decade or so and that collection has grown. I'm a very wordy person so I have to remind myself to stop and take in all the artwork, too, not just racing from speech bubble to speech bubble. One of the best I've read was about the writing of the Constitution and founding of America and the illustrations were so helpful in conceptualizing it for me, tying it all together, linking the historical with the contemporary. I think that's what sold me on them. I had such a positive first experience.

    That is a beautiful puzzle. I'm glad you were enjoyed it and savored it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Beth!
      ...I really enjoyed this project...not the hair re-rooting so much...as that took a really long time...but I learned a lot along the way with this one...and now I'm on the lookout for another dollie for Little Sissie...
      ...that's a good description of the way I read it...bubble to bubble...I just need to slow down and enjoy the images more I think...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete