Friday, June 10, 2022

...6.10...Friday Update...

...I got a new Vegan Cookbook...it looks like it will be fun to try a few of these 'simple' recipes...and it was $1.25 at the Dollar store...
...we're getting quite a bit done on the puzzle now...
...of course the more you do the easier it becomes to find what you're looking for on the separte colour sheets...
...and I thought my 25+ year old bread machine was done for...because I dumped in one of the bread mixes the Man had gotten from Amazon...the pumpernickel one...so we could have Reubens for dinner...and it made the sound of turning the little paddle...but nothing moved inside the pan...

...so of course I took the pan out...and turned it over and unscrewed the bottom to investigate...and all I did was give the belt a little tug as it was starting and it started right up...but I know that that may mean that it really is on it's last legs...so sad...
...but the bread came out perfectly...
...and finally on to the Read Harder Challenge...I finished the Best Mystery Stories...they were pretty good...I remember Grandma saying how much she liked reading short stories...because the were so quick...I've never been much of a short story reader...but I could see the advantage of them here...there was no messing about...little character development...just cut to the chase and solve the mystery...

...and then sort of the opposite of Little Secrets...listed as a thriller and chosen from the Goodreads list...as I'm not much of a thriller reader at all...and I decided that I would NOT read the ending first...which is what I usually do with anything suspenseful...I told myself that I'd just put it down if it got too scary...but it did not...the characters are really well developed in this novel...it's the story of a woman who loses her child to a kidnapper while she's out shopping...and her husband has an affair...and secretly agrees to pay off the kidnapper...it's got a lot going on...and I don't know when I became so jaded to these mystery stories...even though this was listed as a "thriller"...I suspected the actual culprit pretty early on...

...I thought I'd be finished with this challenge by the end of June...reading one book per week...but I'm a little bit behind...and I didn't start on January 1st...I've just started the Island of the Blue Dolphins...I remember Our Airman read this one in Middle School...not sure why I didn't also read it then...but it's another book that we still had lying around...just waiting for me to read it for a dozen or so years...

~Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading This Is How It Always Is - a book about a 5 yr old boy that knows he should be a girl. It would have fit on your reading list, I think. Interesting story. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Island of the Blue Dolphins as one of my favorites growing up. When I was playing in the yard I often used Little House or Blue Dolphins as the inspiration for my play activities/theme.

    Last week I learned (in an article about how the Newbery Award turned 100 this year) that there is a newer edition of Island of the Blue Dolphins that includes some accompanying forwards/afterwards to provide context on the CA tribes portrayed and their interactions with the colonizing fur traders, etc. as depicted in the story. I thought it would be grand to revisit that beloved childhood story within that larger historical framework, too. In any event, I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete