Friday, June 24, 2022

...6.24...Friday Update...

...first up...a dollie update...one leg down...
...and one to go...you switch to smaller needles for her tippie toes...
...and on the Read Harder Challenge...I may actually finish next week...and make my goal of completing the challenge by the end of June...but maybe not...haha...
...I finished The Island of the Blue Dolphins...and it's a really good book...if you've not read it I recommend it highly...

...and then I switched gears completely...and read Darling...it's a retelling of the Peter Pan story...set in modern day...and let's just say that Peter is NOT a nice guy...this was Our Airman's copy...in one of his totes (he has a whole big rubbermaid tote of books from his childhood and teenage years) of things we are saving for his return to the States...
...and then I just finished The Warmth of Other Suns...
...and it's the story of The Great Migration...the story of the Black Americans who left the South between 1915 and 1970 to escape the brutality they knew there...it's told through the stories of three individuals who left their homes in the South...and it was interesting to read about this fairly unknown journey...and as you can imagine...there was some duality...as segregation can take many forms and certainly existed in the "North" just not as overtly as in the "South"...

...and now I'm reading Disfigured...it's really interesting book about the gruesome origins of classic fairy tales...after just reading a retelling of Peter Pan...as Peter in the original is MUCH more of a villain that we know from Disney...or even Hook...
...and for the summer in Confirmation class at Church...I couldn't really start a new 'regular' unit as we've been through the curriculum and we still have the Confirmands until September when they will move up to the Senior High class...
...so we all created "Bible Journals"...uisng those white notebooks that you can slip a piece of paper into...I did this pink and white stripe...but the kiddos...drew and coloured much more original designs for theirs...
...one annoying little thing for mine...the notebooks are designed for a single 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper...and I wanted my pink and white stripes to fill the entire front and back...so these little rivets were in my way...no worries though...I just took an exacto knife and cut around them to free up the plastic cover...
...and slid my striped paper right in...and then I also cut a little circle for the rivet to pop through the paper...
...and here's the finished Journal...I like it a lot...

~Wishing you a lovely start to your weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Nice craftieness as usual! I've written down your books from this post and will put some of them on my reading lists. Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your bible journal, very nice! I love seeing your doll progress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen,
      ...the dollie is quite the fiddly little project...the legs are really in each other's way while you're knitting...but it's such a fun sweet project...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete