Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Vegan Shortbread

I got this super neat shortbread pan for Christmas!

and I finally managed to get my hands on some Earth Balance sticks (I was afraid to try shortbread with the spread).

I just used the recipe that came with the pan - substituting Earth Balance for the butter of course.


Classic Shortbread

3/4 cup Earth Balance
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 325. Grease Pan

Cream Earth Balance until it's light. Cream in the powdered sugar then the vanilla. Finally work in the flour. Knead dough on an unfloured board until smooth. Grease the pan. Firmly press dough into the pan, so that it comes up below the rope detail (I used my Pampered Chef baker's roller
for that). Prick the surface with a fork and bake 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Loosen the edges with a plastic knife and invert onto a cutting board. Cut into serving pieces while warm.

We really liked this warm with some tea - but we didn't care for them the next day - they go stale really quickly. Next time I'll make them a little bit thinner and I'll try freezing all that we don't eat right away.

5 comments:

  1. yummy! i can almost smell it down here! i stock my candy machines with lorna doone cookies (not because they sell well, but because i love them!) as far as i can tell, they're vegan (although certainly not as natural as yours!!) love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pretty pattern on the pan. Cookies look like homemade butter cookies. I'll bet they are good. E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:31 PM

    These wouldn't have a chance to go stale in our house! I've written down the recipe and may give these a go this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm!! I love your pan too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum. I have been feeling like baking of late.

    Might do some this weekend.

    I have never seen a shortbread tin like this. It's great.

    ReplyDelete