Thursday, January 02, 2014

...Grandma's Mashed...

...when Scout was really little and we would visit my Mom...she would always have a big dinner for us...and it almost always included mashed potatoes...

...and little Scout loved...LOVED!...Grandma's mashed potatoes...so much so that he would ask for "Grandma's Mashed" at home...

...my own mashed potatoes were usually just a quick affair of potatoes run through a ricer/masher...a quick dollop of soymilk and Earth Balance...and give it all a stir...Grandma's are a little more involved...requiring a mixer and another bowl...so they remain a kind of 'special' dish at our house...

...Scout's mouth has healed enough that he can eat soft solid food now...and the very first thing he asked for was...you guessed it...Grandma's Mashed...
...cook some potatoes using your preferred method...these are just microwaved and peeled...
...use your ricer/masher thingy to mash them up...
...put about 3/4 cup of vegan milk and 1/4 cup of Earth Balance in a container and heat until very hot...
...add some salt and pepper...
...turn on the mixer and pour in your milk/butter combo...
...then whip it...whip it good...(remember that Devo song)...HA!
...and you'll have the very best mashed potatoes in the world...Grandma's Mashed...

~Have a lovely day!

5 comments:

  1. My favourite comfort food is a dish my father liked, that his mother learned in India where my dad was born before WWII. His father was in the Royal Air Force and was stationed there.

    Strange dish but my Pakistani friend told me it is known on the subcontinent. The original recipe uses macaroni but I use pasta, tinned tomatoes and grated cheese. These are layered into a dish finishing with pasta and cheese and then cooked in the oven for about 30 minutes.

    Whenever I've had hospital treatment and get home, it is there already made just ready to heat through. Comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, you are showing your age with that Devo reference!!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am proud that he remembered and still likes those potatoes.They should be perfect for a sore mouth. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to come back to this. This afternoon I tripped in the street and fell flat on my face! Nothing broken but cuts and bruises and now lots of aching!

    My husband cooked dinner - when he asked me what I wanted it was pasta, tomatoes and cheese! Comfort food, and it was too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever put aquafaba in your mashed potatoes? I read in an online forum that it makes for especially light fluffy mashed potatoes. I have it in mind to try it. And now this. And the mashed potatoes made with coconut milk from that America's Test Kitchen cookbook.... Apparently, I will be eating mashed potatoes for while. I can abide with that. ;)

    ReplyDelete