Wednesday, March 04, 2020

...3.4....W.I.P. Wednesday...

...first of all...a little update on the Easter sweater...the pattern is DROPS Fall Festival...and I've finished the oval bottom bit and started the sleeves...
...but I spent a lot of time repairing Our Airman's Star Wars figures...he ordered them from Ebay and they were damaged in shipping...seriously because the seller did not package them correctly...they were a set called Starkiller Unleashed...
...both of this guy's little hanging cloth bits were broken...as well as both his hands that hold the light saber...
...and this guy's little spiky things on the base of his light saber were broken off...and the front one was missing completely...he also had a broken snaky thing on the back of his neck that was broken...and pretty fiddly to reattach...
...so I reattached the back left broken piece...and formed a little trough out of tape and filled it with super glue to fashion a new front piece which I'll paint later...and I propped him in a cup to allow it to dry...
...but that wasn't quite the right angle...so I put him in a more flat position...
...and then I moved them both into the dining room as they were in the way on the counter...and the super glue spike was taking a long time to dry...
...this guys hands looked the worst when they were broken...but they were actually sort of the easiest things to fix...I just glued the broken pieces back onto the hands and then glued the hands back onto the stumps...the little flaps were kind of difficult because they were under a little bit of tension and had to be held in place until the glue dried...so that was a lot of time...and because they attached behind the hands...those had to be reattached first...of course...
...so...after everything was back in place and dried...I carefully sanded all of the super glue joins with 400 grit sandpaper...
...gathered some paints...a few were model paints that required a solvent...(the black, silver and gold)...and a few were just acrylic craft paints...the tan, and flesh and white...don't you love my fancy schmancy palette...aka food take home container top...haha...
...I snipped off the tip of the homemade spike to match the height of the other spikes...and painted everything black and then did a wash of silver and gold over the top...I actually painted all three spikes including the undamaged one...just so they would all match...
...so here's the repaired Jedi...
...a closeup of his hands and hangy cloth bits...
...and here's the evil dude...you can see his little snaky bit at the back...I think part of that might have gotten lost as well...as his doesn't look quite as long as the amazon photo...
...a closeup of the replacement spike...
...and a different angle...you can see the seam of the back spike repair...but I wasn't able to get my hand in there to sand it...I may try to build it up and cover the join with more superglue...
...and a closeup of the back snaky bit...
...so then I thought I'd better get them packaged properly...this is the box they were shipped in...just kind of haphazardly wrapped in bubble wrap...which obviously didn't do the job...
...so I got some of Our Airman's sheets of styrofoam (remember he used those to insulate some of his reptile containers)...
...and scored and cut it like you do with drywall...haha...
...to fit into the box...
...I cut 5 sheets to fill the box completely...
...then I brought the guys outside...I did all this outside so that I wouldn't have all those little styrofoam bits in the house...haha...
...and laid them on the first sheet in the box...and I just used a case knife to cut a little indentation into the foam so that they would be cradled on the bottom sheet...you can see the outline for the evil one to the right...the good one is already cradled...
...then cut out the next layer...it just needed to be open enough for their back bits to go through...but not open enough for them to go through from the front...I hope that makes sense...so I laid them both on a piece of paper over the cradle in the first layer of styrofoam...and mashed down a bit...
...so that I could draw the outline of where the opening needed to be...
...then I transferred that to the next layer using dots...
...and then using the dots as the outline...
...I just cut it out...
...the next layer they do need to be able to pass through from the front...so I put them face down on it and cut around the outline...straight down as they need to pass through this layer...so now when you place them in from the front they are cradled on the back two layers...and this third layer is open...
...the fourth layer only needed cutouts for their hands...and you would have to remove this layer and the top one to get the figures out of the box...
...the last layer only needed a divot cut out for the evil ones spiky bits on his hand...
...whew!...there they are safely stowed for shipping in their box...

...what's in your workbasket?...

~Have a lovely day!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that repackaging was pretty clever!!! Sweater is looking so pretty and colorful. I think you were born about 10 years too late (should have been a hippie!)

    Love, K

    ReplyDelete