Monday, October 17, 2022

...10.17...Over the Weekend...

...just a very few groceries were needed this week...new to us...Chao Mexican Blend Vegan Cheese...
...and we needed cat litter...we just use the regular plain clay kind...Kitten doesn't like the scented kind...
...so glad it's finally soup weather...so we made a nice big pot of split pea soup...
...and I made some vegan cornbread to go with it...using this plain yellow corn meal...in general we prefer white (unsweetened) cornbread...so this makes a nice change...
...baked at a high temperature in the cute little cast iron muffin pan that Mom gave me...
...so delicious and perfect for these early autumn days...
...and then I "sterilized" a half gallon jar...you guessed it...it's time to make sauerkraut again...and I generally just let the dishwasher sanitize my jars for me...
...weighed my cabbage...I try to get as close to 3 lbs as possible...as that's the perfect amount for a 1/2 gallon jar...
...chopped in my old Emmie food processor...I fill the bowl about half full and process for 10 pulses each time...and it makes the perfect texture...not to fine and not too big...
...packed into the jar...
...and then I take an outer leaf of cabbage...
...and press that in place over the top of the chopped kraut...
...and then add the glass disc/weight...
...and we're ready for the air lock...
...now it will just sit there on the counter doing its thing for 3 weeks...and it should be just about perfect...
...but the highlight of the weekend was probably this walk in the woods...
...the weather was gorgeous...and we were showered with leaves...
...we spied this little guy fishing with his grandpa...
...a quick photo at the trailhead...
...and then we set off...crunching through the leaves...
...the forest is still mostly green...and sun dappled...
...but there was quite a bit of colour too...mostly yellow around here...
...but some red too...
...it was a perfect day...

~Wishing you a lovely fall day!

2 comments:

  1. mmm, split pea soup! I could go for that!! Your woodsy walk is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup is just right for the weather! And I love the photo of the two of you. Love, K

    ReplyDelete