Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Easter Skirt

Well - I have to have something to wear under my Bella Blouse for Easter right! I bought this skirt for a quarter (yep 25¢) at the local K-Mart - it was on their clearance rack at the end of last summer and I put it away - and it's a size 3X...

It's nice and wide here - but wait...

If I take out about 5 inches of elastic - arghh - it's stiched top and bottom to the elastic - I hate when that happens...

Oh well - the seam ripper is your friend! I ripped out all of the elastic (it only has elastic at the back) snipped off about 5 inches - stretched it and pinned it at the middle and then again at the quarter point - then stretched it and stitched back just like they had - to the top first and then turned under and stitched back to the skirt - I left the right seam open just a little bit for the front elastic...

...then the front had no elastic and needed about 5 inches taken up there too - so I cut a small slit with the seam ripper...

...attached a safety pin to a piece of elastic...

...inserted that in the waistband - and inched it along until I got to the other side of the waistband - where (I had left it open here when I did the back elastic) I pulled up the back elastic and stitched it to the front elastic - and then stitched up the two small remaining holes...

...and VOILA! a nicely gathered 25¢ skirt...

...Ta Daa - trust me it will look much nicer with the Bella Blouse over the top...and no socks...

4 comments:

  1. haha - i was getting ready to say - lose the socks, lady! boy, that's a sexy look! i tried on my bathing suit the other day (just to spur on the diet) with socks on, white legs, black socks, and thighs.....not a good look!

    you shoulda been a boy scout, frugality and all....love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny - I AM a boy scout...

    Love,

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah me too - my first thought was - whoa not with the socks! :) I love it! And nice job on finding and making it a deal. You rock!

    ReplyDelete