Friday, May 08, 2009

Someone Else's Mittens

Have you ever had someone ask you to repair a torn knitted item for them. This has actually happened to me a couple of times - as well as the knitter who had knit a sweater but didn't understand how to seam it up...

These lovely mittens belong to a young lady who took a trip to Norway and purchased them there - they are probably hand knit...

They were her souvenir and she's very attached to them - she said they were her favorite mittens ever...

She loved them so much that she wore a big old hole in the thumb...

I tried inserting my darning egg - but it was too fat...

So I went on a search throughout the house for something sort of fat thumb shaped - and found Scout's fish food bottle...

Perfect...

So I knitted it back up...

Then went over it again with duplicate stitch to reinforce everything

- she was so pleased...

...she sent me this little bouquet for a Thank You...

3 comments:

  1. how sweet of both of you!

    yes, i think you've "fixed" some knit items for me over the years...it pays to know the right people!!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely flowers, you both did good. E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is great. She must really love those mittens!

    ReplyDelete