Saturday, March 10, 2012

...exploring WV...the bridges...


...I have a thing about bridges...

...I like them a lot...especially the old steel ones like this one...

...I love that they span rivers...sometimes really big ones...

...I love their shadows on the murky water below...

...I love their strong structural supports that flash by so quickly when you're in the car...

...but I especially love it when they have a walkway...

...and I love their arches against the sky...

...I walked out onto this bridge on a gorgeous Saturday morning...

...I looked down at my own reflection so far below...

...and I felt the vibration (quite a lot) of each passing car...

The Bridge

An old man going a long, high way,
Came, at the evening cold and gray,
To a chasm vast and wide and steep,
With water rolling cold and deep.
The old man crossed in the twilight dim,
The sullen stream had no fears for him,
But he turned, when safe on the other side,
And built a bridge to span the tide.
"Old man," said a fellow pilgrim near,
"You are wasting your strength with building here,
Your journey will end with the ending day,
You never again will pass this way,
You've crossed the chasm deep and wide,
Why build you this bridge at eventide?"
The builder lifted his old gray head,
"Good friend, in the path I have come," he said,
"There followeth after me today,
A youth whose feet must pass this way.
The chasm that was as naught to me,
To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be,
He, too, must cross in twilight dim,
Good friend, I am building this bridge for him."

By: Will Allen Dromgoole

6 comments:

  1. It is a splendid bridge and a splendid poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh - that poem gave me a shiver -
    isn't this what we do for our children and the people God puts in our path? build bridges over what may be a pitfall for them?

    thank you for sharing this!

    bitsofsunshine.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bridges too-love those lines. Thanks for sharing those terrific photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice day to spend studying a bridge and sharing the pics. The philosophy behind the poem is so appropiate. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice day to spend studying a bridge and sharing the pics. The philosophy behind the poem is so appropiate. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty pictures, although they do trigger my fears of heights and of swaying. ;) I suppose those fears are appropriate, given the verses.

    ReplyDelete