Friday, March 16, 2012

...Exploring WV...The Culture Center...

...also on the State Capitol grounds is the Culture Center and Museum...

...and of course, whenever I enter a grand building...I always look up first...

...the lovely ceiling and chandelier (there were 2 one at each end of the entrance hall)...

...and I just love seeing Latin...anywhere...: mountaineers are always free — motto of West Virginia...


...Scout investigating some fossils...he had been here with his class a few weeks ago...but he said they kind of rushed through the exhibits and he didn't get to see everything he wanted...

...we love the prehistoric exhibits...

...and did you know there are Petroglyphs in WV...

...now that we know about them...we'll definitely be planning a visit to Salt Rock...the petroglyphs are carved on two large boulders about 100 yards from the northeast bank of the Guyandotte River and is only about 40 miles from here...

...remember how excited I was to see the petroglyphs in the Grand Canyon...

...the exhibits are arranged pretty much chronologically...but there are lots of side rooms and loops...so we did some backtracking too...

...it amazes me the gruesome things people save...I mean really...a noose...

...most people know the story of Harpers Ferry and John Brown's raid on the Armory there...

...there were so many pretty fabric things...I think I may have bored Scout a little bit taking so much time reading about them and photographing them...this is an embroidered table cloth...pretty...

...and this lace dress is so elaborate...and I was just thinking how difficult it would be to take care of today with all our modern conveniences...I can't imagine back then...and it's not a wedding dress either...

...the legend of John Henry...maybe more fact than fiction...

...Scout loved the coal mine exhibit...it was very dark and drippy...

...the Nitro exhibit...a whole town built around the hazardous chemical trade...

...a really large chemical vessel...

...and the way they used to transport Hydrochloric Acid or Sodium Hydroxide back in the 20s...

...and the tiniest little hexagon quilt...seriously about 1/2 inch each...

...I love these signature quilts...I remember reading about them in The Golden Road by Lucy Maud Montgomery (love/love/love her writings)...

"Miss Cecily King has undertaken to fill with names a square of the missionary quilt which the Mission Band is making. You pay five cents to have your name embroidered in a corner, ten cents to have it in the centre, and a quarter if you want it left off altogether. (CECILY, INDIGNANTLY:—"That isn't the way at all.")"

...some more gorgeous quilts...Scout not loving the quilt room...

...pretty stained glass...

...and a bridge...after me waxing all poetic about bridges the other day...

...another pretty seal...with the Latin...

...and as we were leaving the late afternoon sun cast a reflection of the dome in the windows that I thought was pretty...

5 comments:

  1. what a nice visit! loved the petroglyphs - i've only ever seen them in the leeward islands. the kids saw them on their scout trip in Arizona. looks like you were in heaven there! i suspect you could spend more time than scout would enjoy! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:45 PM

    Lovely quilt and embroidered cloth. I love it when sewing/knitting/embroidery/other crafty things pop up when we're out and about, doing family things. Especially when they're glimpses of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a wonderful center and visit. I never knew WV had petroglyphs and I have never seen a pic of John Henry even though I have read the Keats children's book. So fascinating all of the fabrics and things. Amazing, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hve found many unusual petroglyphs and fossils along the New River in West Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contact me for some photos.
    Can't seem to post them here.

    ReplyDelete