Tuesday, March 20, 2012

...Exploring WV...The Keith-Albee Theatre...


...the venue for the concert was...

...the historic Keith-Albee Theatre...it's a pretty amazing 1920s Vaudeville theatre...

...these photos were taken from our seats with a flash to show the intricate plaster work...

...directly overhead...

...during intermission...this lovely light glowed...it looks like something from a spaceship...

...the lush patterned carpet on the stairs...

...the ornate balcony opposite the 2nd floor balcony entrance...

...the original light fixtures were so pretty...hard to photograph with a point and shoot though...

...the ladies lounge...with plenty of little tables and chairs in front of well lit mirrors - for fixing faces I guess...

...both of the ladies rooms had fireplaces...this one has a decorative 'fake' fire...but they probably had real coal fires at one time...from the article I bet the men's lounge had them too...and a smoking area as well...

...when's the last time you saw a public telephone...anywhere...I loved these little glass doors - there were two in the ladies lounge...sadly no phone though...I would have used the phone for sure...

...there were velvet curtained mirrors everywhere...

...and the stairs up to the balconies were lit with pretty chandeliers too...

...and there's still velvet covering some of the handrails...so posh...

...the Mighty Wurlitzer Theatre Organ...

...it could play every sound effect needed for the show...

...and just looking at all the knobs and pulls and buttons...I believe it...

...it was so much fun...stepping back in time...to the opulent 20s...

...are there any old theatres where you live?...

6 comments:

  1. So many. Madame Walker is downtown, but I prefer Civic in my hometown of Muncie. As a high school Thespian, our own theater had not been altered since it's construction in 1919. Not a single seat (we had a few missing!). I have a lifetime of memories, rehearsing in ancient theaters. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love the old organ too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! I'm in love with the Art Deco style of the late 20's and 30's. We have the beautiful State Opera House in Traverse City. We're actually considering it as the venue for our wedding/reception. It's art deco at it's best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a "posh" place - i like that word. :) how fun to see a show there!

    we have an old theater - the lighted bill-board on the front is original - so cool! but the rest has been updated - nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. I wonder if the tile work is Moroccan? I don't think we have this kind of style left in my city as most places have been redone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love old theaters! Thank you for taking us on this beautiful tour. That old organ is amazing. I have not seen a public phone in years.

    ReplyDelete