Saturday, July 13, 2013

...Orange Pillows...

...remember way back in January when we made the Ribbon Bulletin for my friend...

...well...there was a little bit of the orange flannel we used for the backing left over...and not ever wanting anything to go to waste...I decided to make a few cute little pillows to match her orange and blue room...

...oh...and there was also one spare button from the bulletin board as well...so you can be sure one of the pillows is going to have a button...
...so first...I wanted to make one of those neck roll pillows...and I thought the box of oats was about the right size...so measured around the tube/box and cut a rectangle that size...
...then I traced the lid for the two end circles...
...sewed the tube on both ends...but left a space for turning and stuffing in the center...and then sewed the circles onto the ends...

...the way I make sure the circle fits inside the tube is...

...with right sides together...I fold the tube in half...and I fold the circle in half...then I pin the halfway points together...then I do that again perpendicular to the first fold...so that the circle and tube are pinned at 4 points...like on the face of a clock at 3...6...9...and 12...
...then turn the tube right side out...
...stuff with fibre...
...stitch the opening closed...
...and you have a completed tube pillow...
...for the next pillow...the one I was going to put the one little spare button on...I cut two squares of cloth...and sewed around them right sides together...leaving an opening for stuffing...

...turned the pillow right side out...and with the contrasting navy thread...I topstitched around the outer edge about 3/8 inch in from the edge...still leaving the opening for stuffing...and then topstitced around again...about 1 1/2 inches in...still leaving the opening...

...then I stuffed the pillow...and topstitched both the inner line and the outer line with the navy to close the opening...
...closeup of topstitching...
...then I measured from corner to corner to find the center and stitched the button on through the pillow...
...and then there was just one rectangle of orange cloth left...

...so...for a little bit of detail...I used the navy thread and topstitched lines about 1 1/2 inches apart across the entire surface...
...then I just folded it over...stitched around two sides...leaving one narrow end open...
...I stuffed the pillow...and then using orange thread...topstitched the end closed...

...and we had used up every single bit of the leftover orange material...
...and we had three cute little pillows for an orange and blue room...
...I hope she likes them...

~Have a lovely day!

ps...I'm sorry these photos are so small...I did something wrong when I uploaded them...but if you click on them they get bigger...

4 comments:

  1. Love orange and the pillows, cushions to me, look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. once again your cleverness makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! I just redid our bedroom in grey, with touches of orange and blue. Those are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely gift. I'm sure your friend will love them, especially because they are handmade. :)

    ReplyDelete