Friday, October 11, 2013

...Tun-Nori Casserole...

...after the super warm weekend for the visit with our friends...we're back to chilly fall weather...so a nice comforting casserole was called for...
...I often make a sort of 'tuna' salad out of just garbanzo beans (mashed a bit), sprinkled with some dulse or nori, vegenaise and relish...it's delicious...but I'd never used the 'tuna' for a casserole before...
...but I mixed up a creamy cashew based sauce...with some garlic and onions and nori granules...cooked some noodles and tossed in some peas...
...I smashed up some cornflakes for a crunchy topping...I have a plastic container that's exactly the right size for my little roller thingy...not sure why it's sort of invisible in this photo...
...I baked it for about 1/2 hour before I put the topping on...I don't like the topping to get too brown...
...then I added the topping...
...and gave it a spritz of canola oil...
...baked until golden...and served just with some green beans...
...look at all that creamy goodness...
...we think casseroles are yummy...do you?...

Vegan Tun-Nori Casserole

1 cup prepared elbow macaroni

for the topping

1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
a spritz of canola oil or about a tablespoon melted Earth Balance

for the creamy sauce blend together:

1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup whole raw almonds
1 Tbsp Miso
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice 1 cup vegan milk
1 cup vegan broth - I used Not Chick'n
1/2 tsp Nori Granules

1/2 cup frozen peas

1 cup garbanzo beans, drained

1 medium onion, chopped and 1 large clove of garlic (or two small ones)cooked however you like...you can sauté it if you like but I just steamed mine together in the micro for a couple of minutes...til translucent...I didn't want any crunchy onions in this dish...

Cook the Macaroni al dente...Crush the Cornflakes and set aside...and cook the onions and garlic...Blend together the sauce ingredients...Pour the sauce over the noodles...add the onions and garlic and frozen peas...and the garbanzo beans...stir together to combine...then bake at 350° for about 1/2 hour...then top with the cornflakes and drizzle with the melted Earth Balance...and bake a few more minutes until the cornflakes are golden...

~Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. Looks good. A nice casserole is always good at this time of year when the weather is cooling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cashews and 'chick peas' as we call garbanzo beans. I like the cornflake idea, I usually use breadcrumbs for a crispy top and I like the idea of cornflakes instead.

    I like your roller thingy, I resort to a bag, a rolling pin and my strong right arm!

    ReplyDelete