Thursday, December 15, 2016

...Vegan Vanilla Wafers...

...y'all have heard me lament the lack of vegan vanilla wafers before...

...of course they are available...but not locally...none of the grocery stores here carry a vegan version...
...but...the other day...when I was using my old old recipe box as a cheese mold...I cleaned it out and I came across this old copy that one of my MIL's friends had copied and pasted onto one of the cards she gave them...literally copied (as in Xeroxed)...and pasted (as in glued)...not the word processing kind of copy and paste...

...it's obviously from a cookbook...but I can't give credit to the author because it doesn't say on the card where it's from...sorry...
...it's not vegan...yet...
...but I'll change that soon enough...
...the recipe calls for egg whites...so I got one of my frozen disks of Aquafaba out of the freezer...
...and mixed in some EnerG egg replacer until it was frothy...
...I had bought this new to us Melt vegan margarine...but none of us really liked it for anything savory as it has a slight coconut flavor...but it will be perfect for cookies...
...added it to the sugar...
...then added the vegan egg white mixture...
...then the vanilla...
...mixed on low speed...
...then I made my 'cake flour' cheat...

...first I measure a cup of All Purpose Flour...
...then I remove 2 tablespoons of flour...
...and I replace the 2 tablespoons of flour with 2 tablespoons of corn starch...
...and sift if together...
...this is my fluffy creamed vegan egg whites, margarine, sugar and vanilla...
...add the sifted flour...a little bit at a time...
...mix on low speed...
...and you have a nice cake like batter...
...pipe it using a 1/2 inch tip...
...onto parchment lined baking sheets...
...and bake just until the edges are lightly brown and the centers are ivory...
...and the bottoms are golden...these cookies turned out perfectly...and they really do taste and crunch just like I remember vanilla wafers...
...make a second cookie sheet of cookies...
...so then...of course...I wanted to make a Vegan Banana Pudding with my new wafers...
...layered wafers and banana slices...
...and poured the vanilla pudding over...
...so delicious...and now I never need to worry about finding vegan vanilla wafers again...

VEGAN VANILLA WAFERS

¾ cup sugar
1 ½ (12 Tbls) vegan margarine, at room temperature
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup aqua faba
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cups cake flour – I measure out a cup of all purpose flour…and then take out 2 Tbls of flour and replace it with 2 Tbls of corn starch…

1. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
2. Blend the sugar, butter, and salt in a bowl until just mixed. Gradually add in the aqua faba and incorporate well; add the vanilla. Sift in the cake flour (blending on low speed, if you use a mixer), and mix well.
3. Half-fill a pastry bag fitted with a plain ½ inch tube. Pipe flattened rounds about 1 ½ inches in diameter 2 inches apart on one of the prepared baking sheets; there should be about 28 cookies.
4. Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cookies have a narrow brown rim and have turned a pale ivory.
5. While the cookies are baking, pipe the remaining half of the batter onto the second baking sheet. Remove the first batch from the oven and carefully transfer to a rack and let cool.
6. Bake the second batch and cool. Store airtight.

~Have a lovely day!

1 comment:

  1. that's neat - who knew you could "do it yourself"??

    love, k

    ReplyDelete