Monday, February 24, 2020

...2.24...Over the Weekend...

...we woke up to almost no snow...
...so I packed up my gifties...
...and headed up into the mountains...
...first I went by Mom's...so here's the obligatory porch photo of Mill's Knob...it's so gorgeous here...and then Mom and I had hot tea and p.b. & j. sammies for a quick snack...
...before we headed over to my sweet niece's baby shower...
...all the yummy vegan food...(and I brought home two ziplock bags of it too)...YAY!...
...the pretty pink decorations...
...my vegan snack plate...
...the games we played...
...the pretty pink table decorations and favors...
...and then it was time for some pressies...
...and a sneak preview of what I've been working on for the last few weeks...
...I'll do a full W.I.P. post on these little baby things soon...
...the parents-to-be had requested books instead of cards...so here they are reading what I wrote on the book...
...this is me with my sweet Mom and sweet grand-niece...she's the sister to the grand-nephew you've seen here before...
...and here is the drawing she did for me to take home...I'm the tall one and the other one is her nana...and all the other things are hearts...

...and then Mom gave me her recipe for her famous Rum Cake and a cup of rum to bring home with me...

VEGANIZED BACARDI RUM CAKE

1 CUP CHOPPED PECANS
1 18 1/2 OZ YELLOW CAKE MIX - just make sure it's vegan...
1 3 3/4 OZ INSTANT VANILLA PUDDING MIX
4 EGG replacer eggs...I used EnerG egg replacer...but next time I'm going to use something else...flax seed goo or aqua faba or applesauce...or a combination of one or more of those...I'll let you know...and you'll see why in just a sec...
1/2 CUP COLD WATER
1/2 CUP WESSON OIL
1/2 CUP BACARDI RUM

GLAZE

1/4 LB VEGAN BUTTER... I used Earth Balance...
1/4 CUP WATER
1 CUP GRANULATED SUGAR...I used a non-bone-char-processed sugar...
1/2 CUP BACARDI RUM

Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour 10 in tube pan or 12 cup Bundt pan...I used my pretty fluted pan...and I don't think I'll do that again either...haha...
Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan...the recipe says to do this...but I called Mom and we decided not to do this with my fancy pan...but I added them to the mix... Mix all cake ingredients together and pour into pan.
Bake 50 min to 1 hour. Cool. Invert on serving plate and prick top...I took Mom's advice again and drizzled half of the glaze on the top of the cake before inverting it... Drizzle and smooth glaze evenly over top and sides.
Allow cake to absorb glaze.

For glaze, melt vegan butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar, boil 5 minutes stirring constantly and remove from heat.
Stir in rum.

DO NOT BOIL RUM IN GLAZE.

I always drizzle about half the glaze on before I invert so bottom is soaked as well.

Usually bakes in 50 minutes or less.
...so I gathered the ingredients...and followed the recipe...the jar with the Duke's lid is full of rum from Mom's...
...while the cake was baking I was talking to Mom on the phone and I made the glaze...
...the cake baked up perfectly...and I poked some holes in the top...
...and poured half the glaze over while it was still warm...
...but I think maybe I should have used a different egg replacer or let the cake cool completely before I turned it out...because it stuck a little to the pan...and it cracked a little bit too...
...it still tasted absolutely delicious though...

~Wishing you a lovely start to your week!

1 comment:

  1. What fun!! I didn't know about it (not that I could have attended, of course). Mom and you look pretty, of course. That rum cake looks like something I should make down here in the tropical paradise!

    Love, K

    ReplyDelete