Thursday, October 09, 2008

Nature XXVII, Autumn

by Emily Dickinson

The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.

I love Dickinson and Fall is my favorite time of year - just a few signs of the season here in the upper midwest...

I change this wreath with the seasons - it had sunflowers on it yesterday - now autumn leaves...

A little group of squash on the table on our front deck now greets visitors...

Our only tree - and it's more of the church's than ours - but it's the only one the Man-Cub can climb...

Not a lot of reds here - the predominate color of fall is definitely gold...

4 comments:

  1. Colors are pretty. Did you grow the squash? Our trees are turning too. E

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, very nice - yeah, our leaves are just starting to have some red. looks like it might be a really pretty fall. love the golden field - we sure don't have anything like that here! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mom and Karen,

    Nope I didn't grow the squash my friend Leah did and she gave me a big grocery bag full of them and another friend gave us the red pumpkin - you can't really tell in the picture that it's red - but I should have put an orange pumpkin next to it for contrast. The Man-Cub has already picked out his pumpkin for the Jack-O-Lantern but we haven't cut it yet. I hope y'all have a lovely fall there too - maybe you should drive up 215 past our old house - it was always a pretty drive...

    Love,

    T

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect poem for autumn!

    ReplyDelete