Monday, March 23, 2009

Trophies and such...<

...or How to Make Your Own Pinewood Derby Trophies for Next to Nothing...
Each year I have given all of the scouts in my den a small trophy as a way of saying job well done - and for them to have a memento from the big race (regardless of their place) - I'll have to corral all of the Scout's from years past and photograph them all together...
For this year's trophy I stained a wooden base and ordered a shiny gold topper with a steering wheel and two flags.

I needed a label so I spray painted some Avery labels gold. Then I'll print the award title on them and stick them on the wooden bases and put a layer of polyurethane over it all.

The little gold toppers have a bolt that is too long for my base - so they had to be cut off - that took a lot longer than I expected - Whew!...

Then I drilled a hole in the center of the base and screwed the little topper onto the base...

...added the label and Voila - you have a nice little keepsake trophy - total cost about $2.00 - not including the paint stain and poly which I already had...

...The label says "A Pinewood Derby Winner 2009" - pretty generic...

2 comments:

  1. hey - that's such a great idea! congrats to scout....good memories for my "scouts" also! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classy award. I'm sure they will cherish them. E

    ReplyDelete