Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Very Last Minute Gift/Craft you can do with even small children...

Monday afternoon as Scout was doing his last little bit of pre-holiday homework - I was gathering everything for his teacher's gifts - the plan was to give each teacher a jar of Apple Jelly (which Scout had helped make) with a little handmade ornament tied around the top - Apple Jelly - check - handmade ornaments - um...er...where did I put those...
...after spending about an hour searching for the box with the handmade ornaments in it - I gave up - had a quick think - and went back to a project that Scout had done when he was about 3 or 4 years old - that's right! - Popsicle Stick Coasters - one Christmas everyone in my family got a coaster/trivet with their name stenciled on it - it was a very easy little craft...

...we got out the vinyl 'crafty' table cover and lined everything up assembly line style - believe it or not Scout has 9 teachers...

...spread the glue...

...then started laying the vertical sticks on the top of the glue - you'll need 11 vertical sticks and two horizontal sticks for each coaster...

...write a little note on the back - allow for a little drying time before tying everything up (we let them sit for about 30 minutes) - including the drying time we were done in less than an hour...

...put your jelly on top - see the jelly doesn't really 'work' with the coaster the way - say a mug and some Russian Tea mix might - but we're going with what we have here...

...put them all in a box for Scout to deliver to his teachers...

...while we had everything out - we made a few extra and tied those up as a gift as well...

...we even made some for ourselves...

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:47 PM

    Nice! I remember making those when I was a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is my kind of craft - easy and it requires glue!

    This is a great idea and one I will remember to share with Owen for next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popping in to say Happy Christmas! That's a great gift idea - one for me to try with Nipper next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I think they look lovely - if I was a teacher I would be more than happy to receive such a pretty and useful gift.

    Happy Christmas to you and to your family.

    ReplyDelete