Friday, September 23, 2011

Preserving...

...as fall is now upon us...it's time to have all of our produce safely stored away for winter use...

...so that's what I'm trying to do...my freezer is full...so are my pantry shelves...so in an effort to save some space and still preserve our bountiful tomato harvest...

...we are dehydrating about 30 lbs of the last ripening tomatoes in the bunch...

...this is probably the easiest of the preserving methods...as you simply cut them up and place them on the trays...

...they pop off hard and thin as tiny little red bricks...

...I love them...I just don't quite know what to do with them...so I'm counting on y'all to send me all sorts of ideas for using up dried tomatoes this winter...

...Thanks a bunch!...and have a lovely first day of fall y'all...

3 comments:

  1. I imagine they are much like sun dried tomatoes. I use those, re-hydrated, in scrambled tofu, sandwiches, pastas, salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i love to eat them just like they are!! it's "garden candy"!
    i know that too many will cause the blisters, so that's not really an option for you.

    i love to freeze them in a ziploc bag. then take them out frozen and put a few in the palm of your hand and crush them. sprinkle them over a salad, add salad dressing and toss. very vivid flavor!

    also, do the same thing - crush them and toss in a noodle salad. can't beat the wonderful, concentrated "summer" flavor!

    i've had best luck storing them in the freezer for a year. in the cabinet they loose some flavor soon.

    love, k

    p.s. the corn/tomato combination looks yummy....never thought about doing corn!! too late for us here this season....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love some dry tomatoes!!

    ReplyDelete