Monday, March 10, 2014

...Vegan Sloppy Joes...

...a friend of mine used to make these sloppy joes in North Dakota...where, oddly (very oddly, we thought) they call these BBQs...

...she'd make big batches of non-vegan ones for coffee fellowship after church...and then she'd make a little crockpot of this 'vegan version' just for me...and then I'd have leftovers to last all week...it was so nice...
...first chop some onion and green pepper...I used my handy-dandy little Pampered Chef chopper...
...then blend up some tomatoes...I used some that I had canned...but regular canned tomatoes work too...
...add those to a pot with your onions and peppers...
...a 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder...
...a 1/4 teaspoon of dry mustard...
...a teaspoon of Vegan Worchestershire Sauce...
...2 Tablespoons Ketchup...
...2 cups vegan crumbles or TVP...
...and 2 Tablespoons of molasses...
...served here in a whole wheat pita...but good on a regular bun too...

Vegan Sloppy Joes

1 pint tomatoes - home-canned or regular canned tomatoes
1/4 cup each chopped onions and peppers
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon Vegan Worchestershire Sauce
2 Tablespoons Ketchup
2 cups vegan crumbles or TVP
2 Tablespoons of molasses

Mix all ingredients and cook until thick. Serve in pita or bun.

~Have a lovely day!

5 comments:

  1. stop it!! you're making me hungry!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of this. I've often wondered what 'sloppy joe' is. It would make good pasta sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes - sloppy joes or bbqs or made rights . . . anyway - yum!

    ReplyDelete