Friday, March 21, 2014

...Vegan Soy Yogurt...

...some prep work for the big Iranian Feast for Book Club...for Mast-o-Khiar...a Persian Yogurt and Cucumber Dip...
...this is the simple recipe that I use for homemade soy yogurt...
...normally I save a cup or so of my yogurt to start the next batch...but it's been a while since I've made any...
...so I used Silk Soy Yogurt...just make sure it has live and active cultures...
...then I made some fresh soy milk...
...added the agar powder...and brought it to a boil...
...let it cool to 115° F...(46° C)...
...added the yogurt culture...
...whisked it in well...
...and put it in my trusty Deva Bridge Yogurt Maker...I can't find those anywhere on the internet...but here's a link to one on ebay...

...let that sit on the counter overnight...and you'll have thick and creamy yogurt in the morning...
...then take a regular cucumber...
...peel it...
...and seed it...
...shred it...I used the food processor...
...there is a lot of water in a cucumber...
...so I dried it a bit on a paper towel...not totally necessary...but it might thin down your dip a little if you don't...
...then take your thick and creamy homemade soy yogurt...
...add some lemon juice...
...and some mint...
...and stir in your cucumber...and you're done...

~Have a lovely day!

3 comments:

  1. It's a lot of work!

    For my book group I am reading 'Olive Kitteridge' by Elizabeth Strout. So far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persian foods are some of my favourites and so healthy too! Enjoy your feast :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks a vital part of the evening.

    The Olive Kitteridge has been abandoned, it is such a depressing read and it stirred up unpleasant memories for me. Beautifully written is not always enough.

    ReplyDelete