Saturday, March 22, 2014

...more book club prep...

...I got some of my homemade garbanzos out of the freezer...
...and made some hummus...just regular...garbanzos, garlic, lemon, tahini...simple stuff...but so good...
...then I got a box of seitan out of the freezer to thaw...I could have made seitan...it's not difficult...but I keep a list of everything in the freezer and when it needs to be used by...and this seitan needed to be used up...
...I ground up some whole wheat with my coffee grinder...to make atta...which is basically cream of wheat with the bran included...
...sifted it into a pot of almond milk...
...added some cardamom pods...and sugar...
...cooked until thick...
...oiled my little molds...
...and poured in the atta halva...
...I washed and dried some romaine lettuce leaves...
...and mixed vinegar and blue agave nectar...the traditional Iranian dish is for lettuce dipped in honey and vinegar (but I don't eat honey) and is served on the 13th day of the new year...
...cut up some peppers...for the kababs...
...and skewered those with some onions...
...then we set about getting the sofreh ready...
...we moved the coffee table...and layered about 4 quilts on top of the hardwood...
...then we put some boxes for nice flat plate holding surfaces...and topped it with a white tablecloth...
...when the halva was cool...we unmolded them and topped them with some almonds...

...OK...now we're as ready as we can be...

...I'll cook the kebabs and show you everything on the sofreh tomorrow...

~Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing spread for this group meeting, such a lot of work. It looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the food looks and sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been eating homemade hummus every day this week. I can't seem to get enough.

    I'll keep you posted on the ant situation. I am calling Clemson Extension in the morning to see what they can recommend. I refuse to use poison which is what everyone keeps telling me to do, but there must be another way. It wouldn't be so bad, but these things bite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done such a fabulous job for the group! I'm sure they'll be thrilled. Love, k

    ReplyDelete