Tuesday, July 26, 2016

...makin' fakin' bacon...

...when I saw this recipe over at VeggieSouls...I knew I had to try it out...

...I often make Vegan BLTs with bacon bits...and that's fine...but this is oh so much better...
...a few simple ingredients that you likely already have on hand...the only thing I didn't already have is the rice paper...but even my small country grocery store had it in the Asian section...
...just whisk together the marinade ingredients...
...cut the rice paper into strips and soak them...just for a few seconds...enough to be pliable but not enough that they fall apart...
...then just dip it into the marinade to coat well...I used two strips of rice paper...they will sort of get 'glued' together but you can do just one strip for a crispier vacon...
...I wanted mine to get crispy all over so I put it on a pan with a rack...but you could put it on parchment paper if you wanted a chewier vacon...
...and then just baked until it was crispy...
...and oh my goodness...does this stuff smell good...
...and my vine ripened tomatoes were just calling out for some vacon...
...isn't it purdy?...
...I broke some pieces into sandwich sized lengths...and stacked them with some lettuce and homegrown (not by me) tomato on toast slathered with Nayonnaise...
...just about my favorite sandwich ever...

...what's your favorite veggie bacon...(vacon)?...this is now mine...

~Have a lovely day!

6 comments:

  1. That does look crunchy and tasty. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look crunchy and tasty. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is too cool!!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, how interesting! I've heard of using rice wrappers to emulate the skin on fried chick-n, but never thought of/have heard of this use! I've never been much of a bacon fan, but Matt was and he loves to play around in the kitchen. So, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rice paper! Who'da thunk it! (Bit of Nottinghamshire there for you).

    ReplyDelete