Saturday, July 30, 2016

...In a Pickle...

...we received two bags absolutely stuffed with cucumbers...the small pickling kind...
...they were kinda dirty...so we started with a good wash...
...and then because our rinse water looked a little dirty still...
...we washed them again...
...then cut off all the ends...
...all small to medium sized...so nice for pickling...
...so I got out Grandma's Veg-O-Matic...
...because I wanted uniformly sliced pickles for this my very first batch of Bread and Butter Pickles...
...but unlike my Aunt Frances' Sweet Pickles...these don't soak in lime...but Kosher Salt...
...covered with ice...for a few hours...
...got some new rings and lids ready...
...oh...and chopped up some onion...Bread and Butter Pickles have onion in them as well...
...a few spices...mustard seeds, celery seeds, turmeric, and cloves...
...stirred that all up with vinegar and sugar...
...until very hot...
...and poured it over the cucumbers and onions in jars...

...what have you been pickling?...

~Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

  1. I first tasted bread and butter pickles in New Zealand - they are so delicious. I made some last year and they were all eaten within two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just searched and you can still buy Veg-O-Matics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you pressure can or can the jars after you fill them? Does this recipe make crisp pickles? I have never made a crisp pickle. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgene,
      I didn't pressure them...just a boiling water bath for about 10 minutes...the sugar and vinegar was really hot already...and they would have probably sealed just from that...but just to be safe...

      ...and I would say they're 'pretty' crisp...as in not floppy or mushy...

      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete