Monday, June 21, 2021

...6.21...Over the Weekend...

...it was another busy weekend...in which a lot of things were accomplished...haha...
...the weekend started early...well...earlier for the Man than for me...I think they start at about 5-ish...I wandered over about 8:30-ish...haha...

...the Community Breakfasts are BACK!...so happy that things are getting back to normal...and there was a great turnout once again...over 175 people...
...and then...I headed out to do the weekly shopping...and I needed gas...as the meter had fallen below 3/4 of a tank for the first time in months...it's so funny now how little we drive...and right beside the gas station there is a car wash...I always choose just the basic $6 wash...which the Man thinks is funny somehow...but I figure I'm really just 'dusting off' the car...haha...
...but there's definitely something satisfying about a hands-free carwash...you just sit there playing on your phone...and your car comes out nice and sparkly clean...
...then it seems I got a lot of groceries...but nothing really very interesting...except that I got 'regular' vinegar...during the pandemic, it seemed that if we put vinegar in our cart we either didn't get it at all or we got some weird brand...and they weren't what we were used to...maybe people were using vinegar as a sanitizer...anyway...we used them up...
...oh...and there were cherries...
...so I used the Man's little cherry/olive pitter thingy...
...and made a delicious 'bowl of cherries'...
...then it was time to tackle the 'list' for the weekend...which included making a new batch of sauerkraut...so I sterilized the jar, lid and the little glass weight thingy...
...weighed my cabbage...I try to get as close to 3 lbs. as possible...as experience has told me that 3 lbs. will fill up a half gallon jar quite nicely...and it makes the salt ratio exactly 3 teaspoons (1 Tbls) which is nice...
...so I chopped the cabbage...
...and added the Kosher salt...
...packed it into the sterile jar...
...and set it on the counter...where it will remain for 3 weeks...and I marked the calendar for the start date...
...then I cooked (we call it fried...but it's not really) the remaining cabbage and snacked a little on that...the Man does not like his with this much colour...so it was all for me...
...then on to the next project...cleaning the canister filter for the aquarium...this is my first time cleaning it and I watched a youtube video how to first...but it was not as bad as I was expecting...and I was happy to check that off my list...
...then back to the kitchen...I wanted to go ahead and cook the humongous organic beets that I'd gotten...I'm going to 'pickle' a small jar and then we'll have the rest just buttered...
...I use gloves for the chopping part...as I don't want purple fingers...
...got them all chopped up and in the pot...
...then I rinsed the rather sandy greens 3 times...and separated the stems...y'all know the Man doesn't like the stems but I think they're the best part of most greens...
...and another sort of funny thing is that I don't ever remember eating beet greens until we moved to North Dakota...
...I did a few loads of laundry...and checked that off the list...
...and we had a delicious supper of the greens, beets, cabbage, cornbread and pintos...
...the beet greens barely make two servings...but as I get the stems with mine I give most of them to the Man...
...then Sunday morning...it was Father's Day...and I'd gotten the Man his favorite donuts for breakfast...and a card...of course...
...to celebrate Father's Day...after church we got Mexican takeout...
...this is the restaurant that we took Mom to that has the tofu tacos...they're pretty spicy...so I 'mild-en' them with some rice and beans...
...then back to the list of things that needed to be accomplished this weekend...Jack got a bath...he's not very happy about it here...
...but he always seems to feel happier and friskier after a while...here he is making noises and rooting around under the sofa...he's so funny...
...and finally...I was chatting with Mom during my bike ride and I was wearing this old sports bra...I like it because it's cotton...and it's racer back style means I can wear it with tank tops...but it was giving me no support at all...if you know what I mean...
...so when I came in...I took it off and just made a seam that took a couple of inches out of the straps...Mom could hear the machine on the phone and asked me what I was doing...and she thought it was funny that I sat there and stitched up a loose bra with no top on while talking on the phone...it took all of 45 seconds...and I put it right back on...haha...

~Wishing you a lovely start to your week...

ps...there's a new Affectioknit summer banner for the first day of summer...commemorating our shady backyard...alas...it is no more...

6 comments:

  1. Jack is soooooo cute!!! Make him a cuddle for me!!!
    Love your new banner. Summer all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...Thanks Éphée,
      ...I will...you know he doesn't get many cuddles...haha...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  2. Good busy weekend, and I'm chuckling over the picture in my mind of you sitting there topless....I guess there are just a couple of people in the world that can do say that. (Kinda weird, sorry). Love, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey K,
      ...ok...probably don't want to call that to mind...haha...
      Love,
      T

      Delete
  3. loved seeing your weekend! we are less than a week away from when the movers arrive and begin the BIG TASK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen,
      ...very best wishes for your BIG MOVE...hope it all goes smoothly...
      ~Have a lovely day!

      Delete