Monday, January 09, 2012

Mom's Black Walnut Pound Cake...the Vegan Version

...of course there was a big covered dish dinner at Church to celebrate the last 6 and 1/2 years with our Pastor (affectioknit-ly known here as the Man)...

...and so...also of course...I needed a really special dish to take to the dinner...and I decided on Mom's Black Walnut Pound Cake...I think I've told you before how, as a Girl Scout - many years ago, I was so proud that my Mom brought this cake to the Bake Sale...as it was the first thing to sell and for the highest price too...
...anywhooo...I left the photo of Mom's recipe large so you can print it out like that if you want to...

...and not wanting to have a mess in my oven again...like I did back at Easter when I made this cake...I buttered (with Earth Balance) and floured my fancy cake pan...and another little loaf pan...just to be on the safe side...

...I had to scrape the jar to get enough coconut oil to substitute for the shortening...

...I creamed together the Earth Balance and Coconut Oil and the sugar...

...then I added the egg replacer and started adding the flour...

...you add the flour and nut mixture - this sort of releases even more walnut-y goodness into the cake...then you fold in the last of the nuts without mixing - so you have some whole nut pieces in there too...

...bake at 325° for a long time - until cake tests done...I baked mine on a cookie sheet...just in case...

...cool in the pan for about 1/2 hour and then turn your perfect cake onto a platter...

The Vegan Version of 'Mom's Black Walnut Pound Cake'
1 cup of Coconut Oil
1/2 lb. of vegan margarine...I used Earth Balance
Egg Substitute to equal 5 eggs - about a cup of flax seed goo mixed with about 5 teaspoons of EnerG egg replacer
3 cups Turbinado Sugar
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Black Walnut flavoring
1 cup Evaporated Milk - recipe here - or do like I do and add powdered soy milk to soy milk - or just double the amount of powder mixed with water.
1 cup Black Walnuts

Cream margarine and Coconut Oil. Add sugar and beat well until light and fluffy. Add egg replacer and beat well. Add flavoring. Mix 1/4 cup of flour with 1/2 of the nuts. Sift rest of flour and dry ingredients and add, alternating flour with nuts and beat well, starting and ending with flour. Fold in the remaining nuts, do not beat. Bake in greased and floured cake pan(s), or in a tube pan, 1 hour and 20 minutes or until - at 325° F.

7 comments:

  1. I have a jar of black walnuts in the fridge that I've been hoarding, maybe I will surprise my husband with a special cake! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, i've not had that lately! hmmm, i have some walnuts still in their crinkled-up black outer husks in the basement.....might just have to start with getting those little babies out of their shells!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love walnut cake - though I've not heard of black walnuts or walnut flavouring.

    The cake looks very yummy, worth a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is really beautiful. I bet it tastes as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure it was a big hit at your dinner. I haven't made it in a long time. Should be a lot easier now with walnuts easy to find in the stores. I always had to crack shells. Karen, if you do, WEAR GLOVES. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete