Monday, January 30, 2012

...unpacking...and contac paper...

...you may well be asking yourself what those two things could possibly have in common...

...well...the latter must be removed before the former can be accomplished...

...using a hair dryer to soften the glue I started pulling contac paper off the kitchen cabinet shelves...as there really seemed no point in unpacking the dishes and then moving them out again to remove the contac paper...

...so imagine my surprise when I found little bits of another older design beneath the top layer of sticky paper...and sometimes full sheets of it...so just double the time that it takes to pull that gummy stuff off...and you pretty much have my whole weekend...

...and when I finally got all the contac paper off the shelves were still sticky...and they were still sticky after a good wash...

...so I just lined them with tea towels...for now...when I find my sewing machine and have a little more time...I'll fashion some proper liners from a nice cotton...striped I think...

...and then I got on with the business at hand...

11 comments:

  1. Ah, the joys of moving house!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, I have to say Missy, how come your teatowels stay nice when mine are stained even after a very nearly boil wash?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, what fun! i laughed when i saw that very "60's" print! why don't you just get some nice new contact paper and cover it all up!

    love, k

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are killin' me. I actually LIKE blue. Here this place is all nice and blue, and you are taking it out! sigh. Some people's kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I would really not want to have to peel contact paper off of kitchen cabinets. But there is no other choice, eh? Good work you've done so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah yes the joy of removing the last remaining evidence of other people... had that same issue with the walk in closet at my parents house. Took us days to get the entire thing done. It was UGLY piss yellow... ugh *shiver* why anyone wanted that I have no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are making progress! Once, when we'd just moved in, I remember daydreaming of a big giant who could gently shake our house until everything slid into its new place. It's a lot of work to unpack! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I know there is so much to do, but all the possiblites make it exciting! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun to follow along with your moving adventures! Your new home and church look nice. Best wishes to you and your family in your new hometown! I look forward to hearing all about...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What about GOOP to remove the sticky? I don't envy cleaning shelves of contact paper...what a messy chore!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stripes would be lovely! You are a trooper. You are right; the previous owners did love blue.

    ReplyDelete