Thursday, January 03, 2013

...easy and quick homemade vegan chocolate chips...

...Scout wanted some chocolate chip cookies...

...we were out of chocolate chips...even though I had bought quite a stash at Trader Joes with my sister...

...and I didn't want to go to the store...so I just made some chips...

...I've made these before...
...it's really easy...

Just mix:

1 - 2 oz block of unsweetened chocolate - Nestle's is vegan
3 T of canola oil
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Microwave until melted...or you could do like Julia would and melt it in a double boiler...just be careful...you just want it melted...not cooked...or you won't get nice glossy chips...
...then pour it onto something...I lined a baking sheet with plastic wrap...you could use parchment...wax paper...foil...

...it didn't bother with piping little dots...
...I jsut spread it out in a fairly thin layer...maybe 1/8 inch...

...you can just leave it on the counter at this point...or hasten things up by popping it in the fridge...which is what I did...
...it will harden into a chunk of chocolate...
...then I just took the pizza cutter and cut vertical strips...
...and then horizontal ones...
...until I had little chunks of chocolate...
...just the right size pile of them for a batch of cookies...
...I'm not sure where I got this recipe...but it's our favorite...Scout even knows it by heart he's made them by himself so many times...
...just mix your chunks into the dough...
...see...they hold their shape quite well...
...and bake up into perfect melty-gooey chocolate chip cookies...

...have you ever made chocolate chips(chunks) before?...

~Have a lovely day!

4 comments:

  1. We call 'cookies' 'biscuits', language eh! These look quite delish, I do love cookies but so rarely have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm going to try your recipe and have some questions. Is that 1/4 cup vegan marg? And what egg replacer do you use-flax or ener-g? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tami
    Thanks Tami,

    Sorry to be so long getting back to you...Yes it's a quarter cup...I think we may have tried it with a third too...hence the markover...and I use 1 1/2 tsp enerG egg replacer mixed with about 1/4 cup of flax seed goo...it's been a perfect substitute in almost any recipe I've tried...

    Have a lovely day!

    ~affectioknit-ly,

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete