Monday, July 27, 2009

Brownie Bites

Scout and I made Brownie Bites Saturday night......these are really good......McKenna from Baby Cakes says "It's really, really hard to make a good vegan brownie," and I would have to agree - I've made vegan brownies that baked up so rock hard you couldn't get them out of the pan - and I've made them that might as well have been chocolate cake...

Ingredients

* Vegetable oil spray
* 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Bob's Red Mill gluten-free, all-purpose baking flour
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
* 1/2 cup applesauce
* 1/4 cup canola oil
* 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips


directions

1. Preheat the oven to 325°. Spray 2 mini muffin pans with vegetable oil spray. In a bowl, whisk the baking flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum. In another bowl, whisk the applesauce, oil and vanilla; stir into the dry ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the muffin pans, filling them three-quarters full. Bake for 15 minutes, or until set. Let the brownies cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.

NOTES One Brownie 69 cal, 4 gm fat, 0.8 gm sat fat, 10 gm carb, 0.8 gm fiber.

I am going to make a couple of changes for next time (oh yes - there'll be a next time - maybe tomorrow as these won't last very long) I'm going to go with 1/3 cup of cocoa and leave out the chocolate chips (my version of chocolate chips is a lot of trouble and they're really not necessary in brownies) I'm also going to try the recipe with regular flour...

3 comments:

  1. yum....not on my diet right now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vegan brownies tend to stay in a soupy form, so rock hard would have been an improvement. Those look delightful. Do you think it's just about keeping them a bit smaller?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always make brownies in a tray. I'm going to have to remember to use the cup cake pans next time as these look great and no cutting is required.

    ReplyDelete