Wednesday, August 04, 2010

MawMaw's Salt Jar


...My great-grandmother kept salt in a jar just like this one...

...and my sweet boys got me one just like MawMaw's for my birthday...My Mom has the original one...

...and mine came without a lid - just like Mom's - and taking a clue from her - I just topped it with the white lid from my china coffee pot - it looks OK...

...but this is what it looks like at the antique shop ...

...the original lid was somewhat tiered and had three rings of colour and a finial...

...so Scout and I went to the local antique store and found this sugar bowl with a similar lid...

...don't worry - the base will become a planter for my aloe plant when he outgrows his current pot and needs to be divided...again...
...then we bought some Fusion paint - specifically for painting plastic and glass...

...and spray painted the lid to match the jar...

...then I very carefully, with a very thin brush, painted the rings on...

...I'm quite happy with the way it turned out...

9 comments:

  1. Look at you! You are so creative. I never would have thought to paint my own top. That jar and what you did with it is incredible. I love a grandmother's things. I have a few of my grandmother's kitchen items and I feel so connected with her when I use them!
    Peace, Angela (Peach Coglo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How inventive, it looks 'just like a bought one' as we would say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:52 PM

    Fantastic!!
    You are very creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice!! you frugal person, you! love, k

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea!! And looks like the original :)

    SheilaC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again you are a creative master ;-) I've never known anyone to keep salt in a container. I just keep mine in the box until ready for the salt shaker but yours looks so much nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo! So well done!

    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously Adorable!! I feel the desire to copy.

    ReplyDelete