Tuesday, May 29, 2012

...Anasazi Beans...

...since this is my first time trying these I thought I'd share with you...

...Scout and I were at the Capitol Market over the weekend and found these pretty burgundy and white beans...

...I did a little bit of research before I started cooking them and found this at WiseGeek.com...

"The story of Anasazi beans varies, depending on who is telling it. In popular mythology, the beans were uncovered by an anthropologist, who discovered a 1,500 year old tightly sealed jar of the beans at a dig in New Mexico. Some of the beans germinated, and the new variety of bean entered cultivation again. Since most botanists agree that most beans are unable to germinate after approximately 50 years, it is more probable that the beans remained in constant cultivation in the Southwest, probably in Native American gardens, and that they were picked up by companies looking for new 'boutique beans'."


...the water that I drained off was pink...

...then I cooked them for a couple of hours...because the article also said that they cook more quickly than regular beans...whatever 'regular' beans are...

...and we had them with some rice...they were nice...

..I'll definitely be buying more Anasazi Beans...Have you ever tried them?

~Have a lovely day!

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes, they are one of our favorites here. We have also fallen in love with Pink Beans. They remind me a little of a kidney/pinto bean with a softer shell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've had them at restaurants, but I have never cooked them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of them - but I do love beans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had these beans, canned and home made. I love all kinds of beans :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had them when I lived in Africa as a child. It was very exotic fair for my Irish family to have beans and rice!

    ReplyDelete