Monday, May 29, 2023

...5.29...Over the Weekend...

...we started our weekend with vegan omelettes...
...stuffed with the vegan potato cheese and ham TVP...they were very yummy...
...I went to three stores...and I got a lot of stuff...
...Food Lion has Tuno...who knew...
...and I got a couple of non-grocery items too...
...I used up the rest of last week's loaf of bread to make some nice (not too hard) croutons...
...I filled up my old Chocolatina tin with two new boxes of cocoa...
...I love using my decorative tins to store things in...and I love this old tin...my sweet sissie gave it to us many many years ago...
...I made a pot of chickpeas in the Instant Pot...
...then filled up one muffin tin with just aqua faba...
...and another one with chickpeas...it's a perfect serving size to pull two of these 'muffins' out of the freezer whenever you need them...I love having them on hand...
...and then Sunday afternoon as it continued to pour rain all day...I decided to clean out my tea cabinet...it's the one over the range...
...I wanted to seal up my teas that are just in boxes...so I put them in recycled jars with tight fitting lids...and just cut the top off the box and taped it to the jar so I'd know what kind of tea it was...but I could pretty much tell by the smell if I just opened the lid...and the plain old Lipton bags have a tag so I didn't make a label...
...a few more tins...the green Lipton tin is from the fist year we were married...
...and everything neatly stowed away in the cabinet again...
...and then pretty late Sunday evening...I made Glen and Friend's Potato Spice Cookies...
...I had bought the molasses a couple of weeks ago...
...they happen to be vegan...they're really good...not too sweet...and they are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside...like eating a little crispy gingerbread...

From Glen's Post:

"Today our old cookbook recipe comes from a 1937 printing of Brer Rabbit's New Book Of Molasses Recipes. This molasses spice cookie recipe features potatoes. "

Potato Spice Cookies

1 cup brer rabbit Molasses
¾ cup shortening
1½ cups hot riced potato
½ tsp salt
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cloves
½ tsp nutmeg
½ cup chopped dates

Method:
Heat molasses and into it stir the shortening until melted, add the potatoes hot, then the dry ingredients sifted together and the dates. Mix well and drop by half teaspoonsful on oiled paper, spread on a baking sheet. Bake in a slow oven (325º to 350ºF) 10-12 minutes.

~Wishing you a lovely start to your week!

2 comments:

  1. I totally freeze my beans like this now (thanks) and it is waaaaaaaaaaaay handier than just one big lump in a freezer bag.

    We don't have Food Lions here, but gall dang am I impressed with the in-roads that veg food has made into convential grocers. No complaints here!!! :) It is a great time to be alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried Tuno a while back....wasn't too impressed. Fun to get your shelves organized and it was a good rainy day to do that. Love, K

    ReplyDelete